Twenty-Seven

Leah

Sitting in front of Jace's house, I don't know if I should actually be here. I mean it was a good idea in the moment, but now I feel like I'm intruding.

But if this is the only way to get answers, then I'll have to swallow the discomfort I'm feeling and find the courage to execute this plan.

Taking a deep breath, I cut the engine off my car and walked to front door. I rang the doorbell. I really hope this is a good idea.

I stood there for a minute or two with no answer. I probably should have called first, but that would have defeated the purpose of this visit.

This was a spur of a moment decision. I figured Jace wouldn't be home, but I had to at least try.

I was just about to walk back to my car, when the front door opened surprising me and revealing a woman. She was about my height, her medium brown hair was up in a ponytail. She was dressed in light washed jeans and a white t-shirt. She looked about the same age as my mom and she was beautiful. I saw similar feature that Jace has on her. You can tell that this woman was his mother.

Her brown eyes held surprise. "Can I help you?" She asked politely.

Excuse.

I need an excuse!

"Um." I started. "Uh, I'm Leah. One of Jace's classmates. I was just wondering if he was home? I uh- " Think Leah! "We have an assignment to work on."

The woman smiled happily. "Oh no sweetie! He's not home as of yet, but please come in. I'm his mother."

"Oh, um I don't want to intrude. I can ju-" but I couldn't finish the sentence.

"Nonsense!" Jace's mom exclaimed. "Jace hasn't had a friend over, other than Ian and Luke in a long time. Please come in." She beamed.

I couldn't turn her down.

She was just too happy.

I stepped into the house as she closed the door behind me. She led the way into the kitchen and offered something to drink.

She placed a glass of lemonade in front of me as I sat on one of the stools at the counter. "Thank you, Mrs. Emerson."

"Please, call me Charlotte." She smiled. "Mrs. Emerson makes me sound old."

I nodded with a smile.

"I'm sorry the kitchen is in a bit of a mess." Mrs. Emerson said as I look around the room to see a few pots and pans on the stove and veggies of sorts on the counter with containers of spices in between. "Today is one of few days I'm actually off from work. I wanted to do something a little special."

"That's sweet." I told her. "Mother's cooking is always the best."

She smiled at the statement as she picked up one of the spoons and stirred a pot. "I'm sorry that you came all the way here and Jace is not home."

"It's okay, I wasn't sure that he would be. I was hoping to have a stroke of luck." I took a sip of lemonade and was shocked.

Whoa.