Thirty-Five

Leah

Flashing lights, the scent of alcohol, music loud enough it vibrates the floor beneath my feet was all I took in the moment I stepped in. The dark club was filled to the brim with people. Each person enjoying the moment they were in. Drinking, dancing and socializing.

Kayla's arm snaked into my own and interlocked loosely as she guiding me through the large crowd and up to the bar. Trust me, if she wasn't there I probably wouldn't make it past the entrance.

"What can I get you ladies?" The bartender shouted over the music. He was kinda hot. Screw kinda, he is hot. Early twenties, tall, tan and dark blonde hair. Tattoos lined his forearms.

Tattoos=hot.

Kayla gave him her award winning smile. "Two vodka crans, please?" She ordered batting her eyelashes.

Hook, line and sinker. He was captured by Kayla's charm and it was written all over his face. She always had this way to charm a person. I mean how do you think she got me to be her friend? And it wasn't the cool toys she use to bring to school.

"You got it, beautiful." He said sending a wink her way before turning back to the bar to make our drinks.

I nudged her arm. "What was that?"

Kayla smiled. "He didn't ID us now did he?" She asked giving me a mischievous wink.

Oh she's good.

"Here you go ladies." The hot bartender said handing us our drinks, but not without giving Kayla a smile that was more than just friendly. Oh, he's a flirt.

"Girl, he's hooked." I told her taking a sip of my drink. The cool sweet drink burner slightly as it traveled down my throat. It felt refreshing.

"Perfect. That means it will be much easier to get drinks tonight." She said swaying her body to the music.

"Oh please. Don't tell me you didn't like what you saw." I told her deadpanned. I know my best friend.

"Now, I didn't say that." She glanced back to the bartender.

"So, you wanna tell me how you know the bouncer?"

She stir the straw around her drink thinking back to the memory. "We actually met in a home improvement store. Mom sent me to get another can of paint for the never ending project. I couldn't find the right type and saw me struggling. So, he helped me and then starting telling me about his painting project and the differences between flat, semi-gloss and gloss paint. And then he mentioned that he worked at this club and I should check it out."

"And here we are. Look at you with the connections." I teased her.

"You know your girl can hook it up." She said boosting her ego.

"Okay, bring it back down big head."

She pouted and I laughed.

I really did miss my best friend.

Kayla downed her drink in one go and order us two shots of tequila before I knew it. Impressive.