Thirty-Eight

Leah

A knock on the front door startled me. I was downstairs focusing on making some breakfast. My growling stomach was not going to let me be in peace.

Kayla was still passed out upstairs. There's no way of waking her. It's like waking the dead. She'll have to come around on her own.

I stuffed a slice of apple in my mouth before jogging to the front door.

I was shocked to see the person before me. "Ian? What are you doing here?"

I tried to smooth down my freshly washed hair that I'm sure is a mess.

"Let's go on a date." He said nonchalantly.

I choked on air. I just about fell to the floor.

"What?" I asked in disbelief looking at him like he grew two heads.

"Let's go on a date." He repeated slowly.

"Um, uh, Ian." I said speechless. Am I in a parallel universe or something? Like is this actually happening?

"Just say yes." He prompted, his striking blue eyes stared at me. Telling me to say yes.

"Uh, yes?" I answered, it came out more like a question. Where is this all coming from?

I mean Ian is a very attractive guy, definitely hot, and has all the girls swooning over him. But I never saw him in this light. He was definitely a good friend, but nothing more.

"Well, let's go." He said holding out his hand and I glanced down at it. What the heck.

I reluctantly took it. My mind still reeling.

It was a good thing I was at least dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.

He led me to his car and opened the door like a gentleman. I quirked a brow. This doesn't seem like Ian. Or at least the Ian I know.

He gestured to get into the car.

I slid into the passenger seat as he closed the door.

We drove in silence. A bit of an awkward silence. I mean, am I technically on a date with him?

"Ian?" I called out.

"Mhm." He hummed his eyes trained on the road.

I reached over and pinched his cheek which cause him to sway the car from the unexpected gesture. "Why did you ask me out on date?" I demanded.

"Ouch! Can you let go?" He yelled steering the car straight.

"Absolutely not." I pinched his cheek harder.

"Leah, let go!" He said trying to keep his focus on the road. He started to bounce his leg to take his mind on the pain.

"Tell me and I'll let go. You'll have your cheek back." I said keeping my grip.

"No." He answered.

I pinched harder. "Tell me."

"No." He shook his head.