Olivia

"I got the job!"

Chris drops his book and runs over.

"That's amazing sweetie!" he wraps me up in a hug. "Wait, which one?"

I laugh, "The one at the children's hospital. It's for the Division of Medical Critical Care. So basically the ICU for kids."

"I'm so proud of you honey, I knew you'd get the job," he grins at me and gives me a quick peck. "So when do you start?"

"I start in two weeks. Which is perfect because we leave for Oregon tomorrow, and I'll have plenty of time to relax before starting to work again."

"Wow that is perfect."

"Mhmm," she smiles, "So are you packed up?"

"Yup, I'm all packed up."

"Now are you ready though? Like mentally prepared?"

He laughs, "Yeah, I'm ready."

"Okay... Because my mom can be a lot. You've heard her over the phone. If you wanna back out, now's the time."

He laughs again, "Nope, not backing out, I'm all in."

"If you say so," I sing song and give him a peck back.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful and I took a bath before bed to calm my nerves. Chris reassured me everything was going to be okay and made sure I was in bed by 8. Our flight leaves at 5 am so we had to be ready to run in the morning.

And as sleepy as we were, we were there by 7:30am. I was thinking of drinking coffee but I knew I would want to sleep on the flight anyways.

So by the time we touched down in Portland I had gotten a good 6 hours of sleep. I usually never sleep that much on a flight but knowing how chaotic it was going to be I knew I needed to catch some good sleep before arriving.

"Even the air smells different," Chris chuckles as we get into our rental.

"Yup, that's that fresh Oregon air," I laugh.

The drive from the airport to my parent's in Lake Oswego wasn't far, and we pulled up pretty quickly to the gate of the house.

"Did you go to the high school next door?" he gestures to the high school that we just drove past.

"Nah I went to private school."

Chris nods and stares up at the house in front of us.

I get out of the car and put in the code for the gate. It opens up and Chris pulls in.

"Welcome to my parent's house," I try to give him a smile, but I'm already getting nerves.

I grab my bag and Chris rushes to go get the bags. He probably doesn't want me to carry them.

And soon enough the doors to the front door open and out comes my nonna.

"Nonna!" I yell out and rush to greet her with a hug.

"Oh mia gioia!" (Oh my joy!)

"I missed you Nonna."

"You better have! You almost gave me a heart attack little one."

I wince, "I'm sorry Nonna. It's just that-"

"It is fine," she raises a hand, "I am just happy you are alive and healthy."

"I am."

"Good, then that's all that matters."

Chris is now awkwardly standing behind me with our bags and nonna looks over my shoulder.