Chapter 51

A/N

Guys, before you read this chapter, I just wanted to ask you to not hate me. And I love you guys. And I'm sorry.

Okay, you can read now.

-----------------------------------------------

As soon as I wake up the next morning, I know that there is something wrong, something off. I have the distinct feeling that I'm forgetting something important, something that I should never forget.

I can't pinpoint the feeling, however, and I try to put it aside.

"Sleep well?" Ivy asks once she sees that I'm awake. She's calmly reading a book, a mug of instant coffee beside her.

"Not really," I honestly reply, stretching my back.

"Well, if you're hungry, Claire made scrambled eggs. I have no idea how she even got eggs out here, let alone figured out how to scramble them over a campfire, but she did," she offers.

"She's ever the chef," I laugh, offering a small smile. My eyes land on the ring Avery gave me last night, and the smile falls away.

I still feel guilty over how things went with Avery last night. I did the right thing, but I didn't go about it the right way.

I definitely shouldn't have kissed him. That only sent him mixed signals, I'm sure.

I twirl the ring around between my thumb and index finger, unsure of what to do with it. Should I keep it? Wear it? Or just leave it here?

I certainly can't wear it, I decide. But I can't just forget about it, either. I sigh, and place it in the pocket of the jeans I plan to wear on the ride back.

Then, I stand to my feet and decide to go see about those scrambled eggs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We're in view of the house when Avery pulls Feather up next to Trigger and I.

"Grace-"

"We've already been through this, Avery."

"I know we have. That's not what I wanted to talk to you about," he says.

"Oh. Well, what is it?"

"I just wanted to say that I miss you. And I know that you miss me. I also know that you don't want to be with me, but I was hoping you'd consider just being friends again," he proposes.

"Just friends?" I ask. "Do you think we're even capable of that?"

"We could try."

I pause, thinking about it. He's right. I do miss him.

"We can try to be friends," I say slowly. "But, just friends."

He flashes me a smile. "Okay then."

I notice that we're both extremely far behind everyone else- in fact, I think Claire is already home.

"Want to race to the gates?" I ask.

"You're on," he laughs, digging his heels into Feather's side.

I laugh, and spur Trig on.

I end up beating him to the gates, where I slow Trig to a trot. I stop altogether when I notice Claire speaking in hushed whispers to a strange man. They both look quite angry, and the man looks almost frightening.

Avery pulls Feather up besides me.

"What's that about?" I ask, nodding my head towards the two. He follows my gaze.