Chapter 35

"Morning," Laurel chirps once I sit down at the breakfast table.

         I offer her a small smile, still unable to pull my thoughts away from Jace. I hope he sobers up- was I wrong to tell him I didn't want to talk to him when he was drunk? What if he just gets even more hammered, and its my fault?

        "Hey- you okay?" Ivy asks, nudging my side lightly.

        No.

        "Yeah- I'm fine," I lie.

        She seems convinced, and goes back to eating her breakfast- this morning, Claire made us french toast. Though I don't have much of an appetite, I take a small bite, knowing I need to eat. I have a feeling today is going to be a long day. 

        "So how'd you sleep last night?" Laurel asks, making light conversation.         

        Instantly, images of waking up in bed with a shirtless Avery fleet through my mind, and a blush creeps up to my cheeks. 

         I almost say that I slept alright, but memories of my dream- or rather, my nightmare- keep me from doing so.

        "Not so good," I reply, shaking my head. "Tossing and turning most of the night."

        She frowns at me.

        "I'm sorry. You must be tired," she sympathizes. 

        "I'm always tired," I laugh.

        Before either of us can say anything else, Claire enters the room, clearing her throat.

        "Good morning everyone," she chimes. "I just wanted to tell you that we will be having a new girl here for a little over a week. She's a family friend, and I told her parents I'd watch her."

        Claire shooting a cautious look at Avery, whose face is significantly paler than usually, before continuing.

        "Her name is Tessa- please, everyone be nice to her," she says, offering a weak smile. "And that's all. Enjoy your breakfast!"

        I frown, my gaze landing Avery. He looks visibly distressed, but he quickly masks his emotions when he sees me. He stands up and walks out of the room. A few moments later, I hear the front door open and close.

        Every fiber in my being wants to go after him to find out whats wrong, but I know I can't. People will start to get suspicious if I leave the room every time he does.

        I sigh, and turn to Ivy. She has a questioning look on her face.

        "What's wrong with him?" she asks, her voice hushed.

        I look toward the direction he walked off in, before whispering, "The hell if I know."

*

        I haven't been able to get Avery alone, despite my efforts. Everytime I find him, he has to go help someone with something, or finish a chore, or someone else walks in and I can't talk to him. By the time  I see him putting Dakota up for Chrissie, I've basically given up hope.

        I peek into the aisle way to check if anyone else is there- there isn't.

        I stride over to Avery, placing a hand on his shoulder.

        "Hey," I say softly, offering him a small smile. He doesn't look at me at first, just closes Dakota's stall, making sure its latched properly.