Chapter 44

2019 Update: So as a rule, I do not change aspects of my story after it is completed, because I like to look back at my old work and see how far I've come. So, while I am not going to change it, I would like to point out that there is a point in this chapter where Grace slut shames Tessa, and it is not okay. The fact of the matter is that 15 year old me was not yet aware of how absolutely vile slut shaming is, and how the entire concept was created to oppress women and make them feel bad about their sexuality. But I will leave it in the book for authenticity sake, as well as to give others an opportunity to learn from my angsty teenage self's mistakes

*****

Jace told me after breakfast that he didn't sleep well last night, and he ended up going back to his room for a nap around 10. I laughed at him, remembering how exhausted I was my first few days here.

I'm actually quite happy that he is asleep though, as it gives me time to clear my head.

I poke my head into Ivy's room. She's nestled in an armchair, a copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in her hands. She doesn't even notice me, completely absorbed in the fictional world.

"Ivy?"

Her head snaps up, her eyes landing on me. A smile slides onto her face.

"Hey. What's up?"

"I want to go on a trail ride, but not alone. Are you in?"

She nods. "Always. Just let me finish this chapter."

I groan.

"There are only two pages left. I'll be done by the time you put your boots on. I'll meet you outside, okay?"

"Okay," I reply, before pulling her door closed again and heading downstairs.

I grab my boots off the porch once I exit the front door, sitting down on the steps to put them on. I slip my left foot in first, and start to do up the laces.

"Where are you going?"

I jump at the voice, my gaze shooting upwards.

"I asked you to stay away from me," I whisper. "I asked nicely, Avery. I asked nicely. Now, I'm asking you again, nicely. Please stay away from me."

"I just want to know where you're going," he asks.

I grab my other boot and slip it over my right foot, having trouble pulling it over my heel for some reason.

I am so close to getting up and walking away with only one shoe on.

"I'm going on a ride," I say, getting my foot into the boot.

"Alone?"

I get the laces tied on my right boot.

"So what if I am going alone? Why do you even care?" I snap, standing to my feet.

"I worry about you, Grey," he says quietly, his eyes meeting mine.

Before I can reply to him, Ivy comes out the front door.

"You ready to tack up?" she asks me, ignoring Avery completely.

I nod. "Let's go."

Before I pass Avery, I stop for a moment.

"It's not your job to worry about me. Not anymore," I whisper. "Oh, and by the way. My name isn't Grey. It's Grace."

I brush past him, and start to catch up with Ivy.

"Grace, wait!"

"What," I snap, whirling around, my nastiest glare on my face.

He flinches at the fire in my eyes, but quickly recovers and offers me a small, sad smile.