Chapter 36

I'm a bitch.

        I didn't realize this until after I had already left Avery at the spring. 

        Hell, I didn't realize this till after I got back to the ranch, untacked Trig and put him in his paddock, stormed up to my room and flopped onto my bed.

        But now, I am lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, and I have come to the realization that I am a bitch. I don't see why Avery even puts up with me. 

        Everytime he found me crying, upset about Chey, he told me I didn't have to talk about it. And I didn't. I'm sure he was curious, but he didn't pressure me into telling him, not once.

        And now the rolls are reversed and I am not offering him the same courtesy.

        I sigh, sitting up on my bed. 

        I have to appologize to him, before this Tessa girl gets here. I need to tell him I'm sorry and that he doesn't have to tell me. 

        Standing to my feet, I start to leave the room, when my phone rings.

        I spin around and run to it, answering without checking caller ID.

        "Hello?" 

        There is no reply. Instead, I hear a sigh, and a click on the other end. 

        Frowning, I look at caller ID. It came from an unknown number.

        I shove the phone into my pocket, in case it rings again.

        Exhaling deeply, I go to leave my room, the frown remaining gon my face.

        I really hoped that was Jace.

        When I get outside, I spot a car in the driveway that isn't normally there. I frown- that must be Tessa. I really wanted to talk to Avery before she got here. Claire is speaking with a middle aged man but I don't see a girl. Maybe she's still in the car.

        Instead of going up to meet her, I head over to Laurel and Ivy, who are standing beside the barn.

        "Hey," I greet, offering a small smile. "Have you guys seen her yet?"

        "No," Ivy says. "She hasn't got out yet." 

        "Do you think she's ugly?" Laurel asks.

        I snort. "Maybe."

        We all fall silent, watching intently.

        "Boo," someone whispers behind us. I know the source of the voice before turning around.

        "Jesse," Laurel groans.

        "What? I want to see the new girl, too," he whines. I turn my head to face him and notice Marc is there, too.

        "Why?" Ivy asks. "So you can flirt with her?

        Once again, I snort. "Be careful- Avery will bite your head off."

        As soon as I speak, I realize I'm in the wrong. I slap my hand over my mouth. 

        I thought I was trying to stay away from the whole jealousy thing. 

        "What do you mean?" Ivy asks, raising an eyebrow.

        "Nothing," I snap. "I don't even know what I was thinking."

        Everyone gives me a suspicious look. Jesse opens his mouth to speak, but is silenced moments later by Laurel.

        "Look! She's getting out!"