Chapter 30

About 15 minutes before the trail ride, I went into Triggers stall and started to tack him up, not wanting anyone to notice me.

"Hey boy," I coo, stroking his side. "You ready to prove them all wrong?"

He nickers softly, causing me to chuckle.

I toss his saddle pad on before throwing on an English saddle.

Realizing I forgot his bridle, I head towards the tack room.

"Boo," a familiar voice says, causing me to jump. I don't have time to respond before a set of strong arms wraps around my waist, turning me around.

"Avery, someone could come in here at any minute," I quietly warn, unable to fight off the smile on my face.

"Everyone's tacking up their horses," he replies.

"And we are in the tack room," I sass, relaxing in his hold.

He leans down and presses his lips to mine, pressing the door to the tack room closed with one of his arms.

I smile against his lips, leaning against the hay stacked up against the wall. I slink my arms around his neck, letting my hands comb through his hair.

When we pull apart, I take step back and smile up at him.

"I have to go finish tacking up Trigger," I sigh softly, smoothing out my hair.

He nods, and pulls me towards him again, placing a light kiss on my forehead.

"Now go before anyone notices we're gone," he laughs, picking up his saddle.

"Okay- see you in a few," I chime, grabbing Trigger's bridle from the rack. "You leave first."

He opens the door again and slides out of the tack room. I wait a few seconds before doing the same- and running in to Ivy.

"Hey Ivy," I greet nervously.

"Didn't Avery just walk out of there?" she asks, nodding her head towards the tack room.

"Yeah," I coolly reply. "So? He's tacking up Feather."

A look of confusion crosses over her face, but it disappears as soon as it appeared.

"Oh," is all she says.

"Yeah- well, I need to go tack up my horse," I state, offering a smile before I turn to go back to Trigger's stall.

"Grace, wait!" Ivy calls, chasing after me.

"What?" I ask, concerned.

"You have hay in your hair," she chuckles, picking out a long piece of hay from my hair.

"Oh, thanks," I laugh. "See you out there in a minute."

She nods, and I turn to go back to Trigger's stall, careful not to enter until the aisle is clear. I still want it to be a surprise that I'm riding him.

He takes the bit without putting up a fuss, being a good boy.

I smile, thinking about how far he's come. When I first met him, I never would have thought I'd be able to go near him, let alone ride him.

"You ready, Trig?" I ask, to which he bobs his head up and down.

I lead him into the aisle and out the back end of the barn, not wanting to take him out to meet everyone just yet. I want to mount and and make sure he's good to go before showing him off to everyone.

I put down his stirrups and hoist myself up onto his back.

"Come on boy, lets go," I urge, pressing my heels into his side.