Chapter 32

I groan, annoyed by the incessant sound of my alarm going off. Reaching out to hit the snooze button, I accidentally roll off my bed, landing on the floor with and audible thump.

An even louder groan escapes my lips, and I stay on the floor for a few seconds, willing myself to have the energy to stand up. When I finally do, I turn my alarm off, reveling in the silence that occurs after.

I flop back down on my bed and pull out my cell phone. I quickly type out 'Morning' and send it to Jace, before setting it on my nightstand and going to get dressed.

Its been a little over a week since my midnight pool rendezvous with Avery. We've been stealing glances and quick kisses as often as we can, sneaking around to keep it from everyone for as long as we can. Ivy has become more suspicious though, and won't talk to me other than to make a double-edged comment. I understand that she's mad, but I'm just not ready to tell her yet.

Feeling lazy, I pull on a purple sweatshirt over my tank, and I don't change out of my Betty Boop pajama shorts. Before leaving the room, I pile my hair into a messy bun on my head.

I decide that I'll come up to put on some real clothes after breakfast, but right now I'm too tired and these clothes are too comfortable.

I walk sluggishly down towards the dining room, making my way through the hallways.

Before I can turn the first corner, a set of arms wrap around my waist.

Grinning, I spin around to face Avery. 

At least, who I think is Avery.

The second my gaze lands on Marc, I frown, pushing my hands into his chest so that he'll let go of me.

"You shouldn't sneak up on people like that," I say, my voice a bit harsh.

He frowns, mimicking my expression. "Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." 

I wave him off, feeling a bit guilty. "Sorry, it's not you, I'm just still tired I guess," I mutter.

Marc has been pretty nice to me, although he acts fairly flirtatious around me. I haven't talked to him about it, as it seems fairly harmless. I'm not too worried about him- I assume its just part of his personality, kind of like Jesse.

"I just came up to see if you were awake yet. Everyone's almost finished with breakfast," he says, gesturing me to follow him down the hallway.

"Yeah, I guess I slept in a little," I yawn, offering him a tight smile.

"Late night?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"You could say that," I chuckle. "I couldn't fall asleep, so I stayed up watching The Office on my laptop."

He smiles at me. "That show is awesome."

"Agreed," I laugh, accidently bumping my hip into his.

We turn into the dining room, smiles on both of our faces. I instantly scan the room for Avery, who is sitting at the corner of the table furthest from the door. I shoot him as big a smile as I can without looking suspicious.

When my gaze turns to my friends, I see that my actions didn't go unnoticed by Ivy, whose lips are pressed in a tight line while she stares at me accusingly. Once she notices I'm looking, her gaze flits away and she turn and says something to Laurel, a fake smile appearing on her face.

I sigh, and turn to where a stack of plates is, along with a few dishes of food. This morning, breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, and biscuits. I quickly make myself a plate and go to sit between Laurel and Piper.