Chapter 26

We move through the doorway and into his room, still tangled together. I kick the door shut behind me.

His hands roam up my back and into my hair, making me feel as if my skin is on fire.

I feel myself back up into his desk, which I hop up onto, before wrapping my legs around his waist.

We break apart for air, breathing heavily as an explosive buzz rushes through me. 

My eyes meet his, before our lips crash together again.

And this is the moment when his mom decides to knock on the door.

"Avery-" she calls. "Can I come in?"

"Shit," he mutters, breaking away from me. He shakes his head and calls back, "Um, in a minute. I'm- changing. Just wait a minute."

I look to him, my eyes wide and frantic.

He points under his bed, and gestures towards it with his head.

"Under your bed?" I mouth, tilting my head.

"You got a better idea?" he quietly retorts.

I groan in discontent, before climbing under his bed.

"Okay, Mom, you can come in," he calls.

I hear the door open and close.

"Wow, you look all sweaty and unkempt- did you just go on a ride?" she asks.

"Something like that," Avery mutters, causing me to blush. "Um, why are you here, Mom?"

"You know, you were supposed to give Piper a short lesson since she's been having problems getting Scylla to stay in the right diagnal while they're loping. I had to fill in for you. What's been going on with you lately?" she asks, her voice tense and worried.

"Sorry, I forgot," Avery cooly replies.

"Well this isn't the first time something like this has happened. The other day you left without telling anyone where you were going-"

"I told you were I was going," Avery snaps.

"I'm sorry 'Going to see a friend' doesn't count as an explanation. Avery, either tell me what's going on or I'll figure it out myself. But I'd rather not have to do that," she sighs, her voice tired. I feel bad for a minute. It's my fault they are arguing right now. She just doesn't know

"Nothing is 'going on,' Mom. You're making some seriously harsh accusaions without any proof. You know, maybe it's just the fact that I don't like this time of year. You know I hate summer, and you know why" he snaps, sitting on the bed.

They both go silent for a minute. She sits beside him.

"I know," she sighs.

They sit in a calm silence, having their own little moment that confuses me. Why does he hate summer?

Does he got that summertime sadness?

Okay, even thinking that made me cringe... I hate that song.

"Look, I've got to go. Everyone's going on a trail ride in about 15 minutes, and I hope you'll go, too," Claire says softly.

"Okay, I'll be down to tack up in a minute," Avery says.

Claire gets up to walk away, but stops before exiting the door.

"Have you seen Grace?" she asks.

"Wh-what?" Avery stutters, causing me to laugh internally. "I barely even see Grace? Which one is Grace again?"