Chapter 40

"That's it, I'm getting Claire," I say to Jace, shaking my head in disapproval.

"What? No! Teach me!" he pleads.

"Jace, I'm not an instructor. At least let me get Avery. It's irresponsible to ride for the first time without one of them here. Until you admit that you don't know what you're doing, there is no way you are getting on this horse!" I say, grabbing Diesel's reigns from him.

"How hard can it be?" he asks.

I snort. "Much harder than you would think. I'm going to go get Avery. You wait here- can I trust you not to try anything stupid?"

He groans. "Alright Mom."

I stick out my tongue at him, and pass the reigns back to him.

Jace has been here four days, and he still has not gotten up on a horse. The first two days he had an excuse- it was storming.

But the storm has been over for two days now, and I'm determined to get him riding, despite the fact that I have no idea how to teach him.

I walk out of the round ring and scope out the area, trying to spot Avery. Although I don't see him, I run right into Claire.

"Oh, hello Grace," she says, offering me a warm smile.

"Hi Claire. Are you busy?" I ask.

"No, I just finished up Jesse's lesson," she replies, the smile remaining on her face.

"If you have time, would you mind giving Jace a beginners lesson. He is going to ride today, but I'm not qualified to teach him at all."

"No problem, hun," she chuckles. "That's what I'm here for. Is he in the arena or the round ring?"

"Round ring. I'll be there in a second, I want to go see Trig really quick," I say.

"Alright. See you in a few."

She walks away, and I head towards the tack room to grab a carrot out of the refrigerator. When I open the door, Avery and Tessa are already in there, both of them laughing. Avery is grabbing a water out of the fridge, and Tessa has a bubblegum pink halter in hand. 

Her other hand is playfully on Avery's shoulder, and an adoring look is on her face. 

Until she notices me standing in the doorway, a forced, polite smile on my face. Her hand returns to her side, breaking contact with Avery. 

"I hope I'm not interrupting," I say slowly.

"Not at all," she says. 

We all stand in awkward silence for a few seconds too long before Tessa says that she needs to go groom Starlight because she rolled around last night.

As soon as she's gone, the smile evaporates from my face. Avery notices instantly, and his expression becomes a warning without either of us saying anything.

"Avery-"

"Don't."

"Avery, just listen to me for a minute," I say.

For a moment, I think he's going to try and cut me off. He opens his mouth to, but shuts it before any words come out. I take this as a sign that he's going to hear me out.

"I am not saying this because I'm jealous, because I'm not. I'm saying this because I care about you, and you care about Tessa. Just remember that, okay?"

He nods slowly, and incredulous look on his face.

"Tessa has feelings for you," I start, pressing forward despite the fact that I can see that he is about to cut me off. "And before you accuse me of being a jealous bitch, hear me out. I am a girl, and I know what it looks like to have feelings for someone. I have been that girl before. I know what it looks like. And Tessa is the poster child for that girl, Avery. Please don't tell me you're so oblivious that you never noticed the way she looks at you."

"Grace, you are so wrong. I could say the same about you and Jace," he spits, Jace's name poison in his mouth. His kissable mouth.

"Avery," I say calmly- lovingly, even. "Jace and I have had upfront, honest conversations to make sure that we weren't leading each other on, to make sure we didn't have feelings for each other. We're like siblings. If you had that conversation with Tessa, would it have the same outcome?" 

He doesn't respond, his eyes refusing to meet mine. He knows deep down that I'm right.

"Look, Avery, if you care about Tessa, you'll talk to her. I know you care about her, and don't want to hurt her. So don't hurt her by giving her false hope. Talk to her," I whisper. 

I start to leave, but turn around at the last second, going to Avery and cupping his face in my hands and pressing my lips lightly to his. 

After a few seconds, he responds, kissing me back gently. 

This kiss feels different than all of our others, and we both know it. It makes me suddenly afraid- afraid to lose him, reluctant to pull away. So for a while, I don't break away, trying to ignore the burning in my lungs that is the need for air. 

Eventually, we both break apart, gasping for breath. I lean my forehead against is, my arms hugging him tightly. 

"Avery," I say quietly.

"Yeah?" 

"I'm scared of you hurting me- not because I think you will, but because I've given you enough power over me to be able to," I whisper, looking up at him.  

He smiles sadly down at me. "I think I've given you that power, too."

"Promise me you won't hurt me," I say, my voice almost pleading. 

He presses his lips against mine, his hands cupping my face gently. 

"I promise," he whispers.

We stand in silence for a few seconds, the only sound in the tack room that of our soft breathing. 

"I've got to go," I say. "But please say you'll talk to Tessa."

He nods. "Okay. I will."

"Good. I lo-" 

I stop, cutting myself off before I say anything I'll regret.

I sigh. "I'll see you later."

I turn and leave the tack room, not looking back.

A/N

Sorry the chapter is short. It was going to be longer, but I decided to split the chapter in half because I haven't finished writing the second half and I wanted to get an update up tonight! 

Plus, I'm very reluctant to right the next chapter.

Stuff happens and I'm not ready yet.

Tomorrow is my last day of exam week, and my last day of school before Christmas Vacation. So happy.

My really awesome aunt and her family are coming tomorrow, my oldest brother is coming in a few days, and my other brother is coming on the 26th. I'm so happy!!!! I love them!

Anyways, I'm going to stop with the author's note so that I can put this update up for you.

Goodnight My Lovelies!

RecoveryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara