Chapter 25

I follow behind Avery as we go into the house and through a few hallways, before we end up in front of a door.

"You're not- going to kill me, are you?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"No," he cooly replies, opening the door. "I'm not."

I cautiously walk in, looking around. The room is neat, with only a desk and a bed. The desk has a picture of Avery and a little girl who looks very similar to him. Maybe a cousin? The walls are painted a dark grey, almost black.

It's his bedroom.

"It's a bit depressing in here, don't you think?" I chuckle.

He shrugs. "I guess so. I don't really spend a lot of time in here anyway- I'm normally in the barn."

I nod. It makes sense- that's probably why this room is so tidy.

"Avery-"

"Listen-"

We both speak simultaneously. He gestures towards me.

"You go first."

I nod, and offer a small smile.

"Avery, look, I'm sorry for acting like a bitch the other day. I've been going through some stuff- I don't really want to talk about it, and I know its no excuse. I keep pushing away everyone crazy enough to try and get close to me. First Ivy, then you. I've even been being distant with Jace. And I'm sorry. It's just what I do," I sigh.

"After Ch-" I stop myself, realizing that I haven't told him about Chey yet. "After what happened to me, it's become hard for me to let me people get close to me because I feel like they'll leave. So I'm sorry I've been distant and cold and explosive. It has nothing to do with you."

"I mean, you've been nice to me since-" I stop, remembering how he was a jerk the first few days. "Well, not since the beginning, but almost. And you helped me with Trigger, which I can't thank you enough for, because I'm really starting to like that horse."

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. For everything. And I understand if you don't really want to associate with me anymore. I wouldn't blame you at all," I wryly chuckle.

He stares at me with a look on his face akin to awe. For a few moments, we stand there in silence.

"Okay, say something because now I'm feeling really self conscious because I just realized I might have shared to much," I awkwardly laugh.

"No, you're fine," he replies, his voice quiet. "I just wanted to ask- nevermind."

I frown, and look up at him.

"What?"

"No, it's nothing," he mutters, trying to shrug it off.

"Okay, you can't just bring me up here to talk to you, and then at the last minute chicken out. I got off the phone for you," I teasingly urge.

"Okay, but remember you asked for it," he chuckles.

"Okay," I slowly reply. "Ask away."

"If you have a boyfriend back home- why did you try to kiss me?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

I suddenly feel very self aware- could he ask a more awkward question? A blush creeps up to my cheeks and I stare at the ground.

Until I replay his question in my mind, and I'm suddenly confused.

"Wait, I don't have a boyfriend back home," I protest.

He furrows his brow in confusion, and takes a step towards me.