Chapter 46

The next morning, when Jace inevitably went into my room early in the morning to wake me up, I wasn't there. In fact, I was nowhere in the house.

As I sit with my legs crossed over each other, sipping on a glass of peppermint tea, I can imagine him poking his head into the kitchen and the living room, looking for me.

I'm sure it will take him a while to guess that I am in the middle of Trigger's paddock, watching the Stallion as he grazes, his head a few inches from me.

I reach out and scratch his cheek, a melancholy smile on my face.

"Hey buddy," I whisper.

I curled up in a ball in the center of my bed last night, trying desperately to fall back asleep. I eventually dozed off,  but was awoken by another nightmare around 6 AM. At that point, I got out of bed, got dressed, and made myself some tea, before going out to be with Trig.

I've been sitting here ever since.

Trigger nudges my shoulder lightly with his nose, before going back to munching on the grass.

Curious, I pluck a piece of grass out of the ground and nibble on it. Seconds later, I spit it out.

"Trig, that's disgusting!" I laugh. "How do you like it?"

He doesn't respond, and I sigh. I take one last sip of my tea, effectively finishing it off.

I place my mug on the fence post, before walking up to Trig. I cross my arms over his back, laying my head down on him. He continues to munch on grass, oblivious to my mental turmoil.

"What's wrong with me, Trig?" I ask quietly.

"Well, for starters, you were having a tea party with a horse," a familiar voice chides.

I smirk, turning around. "Good one."

Jace is standing at the fence, a smile on his face.

"Why are you up so early? And why are you out here?"

I frown. "I couldn't sleep."

Neither of us speak for a moment, although he gives me a sympathetic look.

"The dreams again?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you said they stopped?"

"They did, for a while," I sigh. I pause before adding, "I think it helps when I'm not sleeping alone."

"Gross! You were sleeping with Avery? Too much information!"

"Not like that, you perv," I snap playfully. "Just in the same room. Well, the same bed. But we just slept- nothing else."

He frowns at me.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say unconvincingly.

"You could have woken me up."

"Then you wouldn't have been able to sleep," I chuckle.

"Grace-"

"I'm fine," I assure. "Really, I am."

I pull away from Trigger and walk up to the gate where Jace is standing.

"Do you have all your stuff ready?" I ask.

"It's packed into my car. Just wanted to say goodbye to you," he says.

"Why are you leaving so early?"

"It's a two day drive. I want to make it to my hotel by seven so I can eat room service in bed," he chuckles.

"Room service? I bet your parents will love paying for that," I chuckle.