28 | Enchanting To Meet You

P E A R L

P E A R L

I waited until I was comfortable in bed to read Zion's writing. The warm shower I took before I laid in the confines of my sheets made my eyes feel heavier than before, and I was already half asleep by the time I opened the paper.

It read:

Maria Maria - Santana

You listened to this on the bus. The first time you'd been on a bus with me, I think. It reminded me of you when it played randomly on my phone at 2 am the other night.

We Belong Together - Mariah Carey

The first time we listened to music in my car. So far, you already know these songs. But now, every time I listen to them, you come to mind. I like it. It makes the songs more enjoyable.

Eyes Off You - PRETTYMUCH

I'm not sure you know this song. I'm not sure why I know this song, but I heard my sister play it the other day and thought of you.

Runnin' Low - Kieran Alleyne

This song was playing from Nico's speakers at his house when I arrived, and the first person I saw was you. It's strange to admit that every time I walk into a room, my eyes try to find you instantly. I didn't expect to see you at Nico's that night, but you were there, and you were beautiful. You always are.

Enchanted - Taylor Swift

Okay, wait. I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but Xyla blasts her songs all the time. She asked me about you the other day. She wants to see you, and Nevaeh. But that's not the point. The lyrics - most of them - reminds me of you because it very much was enchanting to meet you, Pearl.

Starting Line - Luke Hemmings

I think it's the feeling of this song that reminds me of you. It's comforting and safe. Almost too calm. That's how your presence feels, Pearl. I like being in your presence. It feels like freedom.

By the time I finished reading his words, the smile on my face mirrored the warmth in my heart.

I slept that night with the paper clutched to my chest, thinking that Zion thought of me every time he heard those songs.

I'd think of him now, too.

⭐︎

"Open to a new page, my little darlings," I refrained from making a face at the sound of Ms Mac's voice.

It was too early in the morning to hear her faux sweet tone. We all knew she'd rather be anywhere else, just like half of us.

I did as she said, a little warily, as she walked up to my desk.