44 | In My Arms Again

P E A R L 

P E A R L 

Zion was completely quiet, resting his head in my neck. His breaths were evened out, and I noticed the steady beat of his heart.

"Zion," I murmured his name, running my hands through his hair. "Are you asleep?"

His silence made me smile, and when he snuggled closer at the soft movement of my fingers against his scalp, I sighed into him.

A tinge of guilt clamped my heart as I realised he hadn't gotten much sleep in the past week. His dark eye-bags gave him away, so I let him sleep on my chest for a while.

I drifted off to sleep eventually, and when I heard keys clinging from behind the front door, my eyes widened.

I froze up at the possibility of one of Zion's parents seeing him on top of me as a first impression.

"Zion?" A female's voice spoke hesitantly as someone opened the front door.

Closing my eyes and turning my face into the cushion of the couch, I made it seem like I was sleeping too. If I was going to get caught, Zion had to be there to explain, too.

"Zion, my seun, why are you asleep-" A woman I assumed was his mother stopped herself from talking as she walked closer. "Oh." [my son]

She cleared her throat, a small rumble of laughter escaping her throat.

"Good lord," The lady murmured, and I could hear a faint trace of an African accent.

Zion's nose brushed against the skin of my neck, and I had a feeling he was awake now. His soft snort was quiet enough for only me to hear.

"Zion," She hardened her tone, and I felt Zion tense on top of me.

"Dammit," He whispered into my ear and sighed deeply.

Zion turned his head away from my neck and faced the woman I assumed was his mother. I kept my eyes shut, not ready to deal with the embarrassment.

"Who is this young lady?" Her voice was quiet now as she whispered harshly.

"My girlfriend, Ma," Zion's hands around my waist tightened.

He didn't spare my heart as it thundered in my chest at his words. I was still his girlfriend, and I wanted to grin at the sound of it.

"Girlfriend," Zion's mother cackled, then stopped after a few seconds, speaking sharply again. "Get yourself off her right now. Show her some respect. If you're going to bring her to our home, you have to make sure she isn't bored and sleeping."

My boyfriend laughed, his chest shifting against mine.

"Ma, I made her a date here at home the other day, when you were gone with one of your friends. I think she's comfortable here, and she's only getting some rest-"