07 | Couldn't Help Myself

P E A R L

P E A R L

"Pearl, hey, Pearl," The perky voice of Mia Golding echoed in the hallway as I shut my locker.

I closed my eyes and mentally prepared myself to speak to her.

"Hi, Mia," I drawled, hoping she'd see that I was too exhausted and leave me alone.

She did not.

"I saw you talking to Zion on the weekend, at the school dance," She lowered her voice and leaned closer to me. I caught a whiff of her sweet floral perfume.

"Yeah?"

"Did you get anything on him?" She raised her eyebrows and fluttered her lashes at me, expectant of something.

"No?" I answered confusedly. "What am I supposed to have on him?"

"Anything we can put in the school articles," She spoke as a matter of factly.

"We don't do that here," I crossed my arms across my chest.

"What do you mean? We find news about our school and put it in the article!" She tried to slyly smirk.

"Of our school, not students." I furrowed my eyebrows and narrowed my eyes at her.

"The students are the school," Mia still thought I wasn't being serious.

"Mia," I said firmly. "We're not writing about him in the articles."

She sighed deeply and nodded.

"What about Riot?"

I felt my body go cold for a moment.

"Who?" I questioned breathlessly.

"Jarrett,"

I felt the wave of warmth rush through my body.

My palms were sweaty, knees heavy, arms weak, there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti... no, shut up.

"He's the quarterback. We write about him," Mia didn't stop talking.

"Of course, we write about him. He represents our school," I sounded like I was out of breath.

"So does Zion. He started earning academic scholarships from colleges all over the state before what happened." She placed one hand on her hip.

I groaned and passed her, walking into Mrs MacQuoid's classroom.

The door opened, and I walked in, letting my eyes land on the teacher at the front. Her ageing eyes inspected me, and not so much Mia.

"How the tables have turned," Mrs Mac muttered under her breath and spared a glance to the seat where Zion sat.

He was never this early to her class before.

I wondered if she had complained to the principal or something.