45 | Closure

P E A R L

P E A R L

Two weeks without any news on Zandra was a little nerve-wracking, but when I got a call from Riot, and he spoke four words, I wanted to cry with relief.

"Zandra is in custody," He told me over the phone.

I stayed quiet, and he let me weep in relief for Gabriel and for any potential victim she might've gotten her deceptive hands on.

"I'm coming over," Riot's words were firm, and I couldn't reply, barely registering what he said.

He hung up, and ten minutes later, the doorbell rang. Seeing that my father was at work, my mother was hands deep into making a meal, and Nevaeh was somewhere upstairs, I jogged to the door and opened it.

Riot's grey eyes met mine instantly. His stance was one I hadn't seen before, and I couldn't depict why he merely stared at me with his hands shoved into the pockets of his pants.

"You're at my front door," I obviously stated. He had never stood at the front of my home before, and the sight of him standing there was unreal.

"I am," He nodded, tensing his jaw.

"Thank you," I said after a while of weird silence. "For catching Zandra."

"Thank you for helping," Riot tilted his head down, showing me just how grateful he was as he raised his eyebrows slightly.

"Illegally," I uttered, biting the inside of my mouth to stop myself from smiling.

The adrenaline from hearing such great news was still rushing through my veins.

"I came to say goodbye," Riot inhaled deeply, his eyes never moving from mine. "For good."

That rush of adrenaline paused for a quick beat, replaced with a sense of confusion. I didn't know how that made me feel.

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously, leaning on the door frame.

"New York," Riot simply stated, shaking his head a little.

"You hate New York," Folding my arms across my chest, I watched the man in front of me smile.

"I have a new job," His teeth shone brightly, a rare grin forming on his lips.

"Wasn't your position in the FBI temporary?" I asked, momentarily looking at the grin that didn't go away from his face.

"They offered me another deal," Riot shrugged, his grin faltering.

I didn't want to ask about how he felt about it. He didn't look like he wanted to comply with the new deal, but that wasn't my business now. It never was.

"I'm not going to contact you anymore," His grin was completely faded when he spoke again. "I promise."

Shifting awkwardly in my spot, I nodded. It was a good thing if he didn't. He needed to move on, and so did I. We both needed to let go of the past.