48 | Through the Heart

a/n: *trigger warning* gun violence, blood for this chapter and the beginning of the next

Z I O N

An eerie silence struck over the beach, louder than the waves crashing onto the shore.

The faint rustle of leaves from the bushes behind brought me some kind of comfort and safety. Riot was hiding between them with some of the other FBI.

I was going to be in deep shit if my mother knew what I was doing. I didn't need her permission anymore. My eighteenth birthday was a week ago, meaning she didn't legally have any say in what I'd do, but that wasn't going to stop her from being disappointed. And scared.

A shadow or a figure began walking toward me. Her hair whipped to the side, even the wind going against her as she grew closer.

Flashbacks of the night last year that changed everything flickered through my mind, and I had to steady my feet on the sand to not take Zandra to the ground and hurt her. Then I thought it was better to not drop to her level of malice.

"I must say, this is just too good to be true. Don't you think, Zion?" Her voice must've halted the wind. Her evil aura must have chased the goodness of nature away because everything went still.

I didn't say a word. My throat clogged up with such hate and disgust, I knew nothing I'd say to her would be less of what I was feeling.

"Though, I do admire your efforts to hide the company you've brought," She spoke, and the moonlight enhanced the sharpness of her face.

Silence took over again. Chills crawled down my spine as we kept our eyes locked. I wondered if there was ever any good in her. Was she always delusional? Or did she suffer trauma, too?

Hurt people hurt people. How much hurt did she have to endure to give back such evil to the world? I didn't think I'd ever understood it.

"If I take your hand to bring you with me," Zandra drawled, stopping before me. "How long do you think it'll take for the FBI to come out of their hiding spot?"

I gulped when she lifted her hand. She dropped it back to her side and smiled so sweetly, one would think she did no wrong in her life.

"Oh," A small whisper left her lips, and her dark eyes drifted to the bushes beside me. "It's not only the FBI that you've brought, is it?"

My jaw clenched, and I tried to not let her words distract me. I couldn't even think for a second that she was referring to one of my friends, or even Pearl. She'd known I was gone by now. An hour had passed from that moment until now.

"Quiet boy," Zandra cooed, turning her attention back to me. "Gabriel was the same."

His name from her mouth made me seethe. My breaths were laboured now and trying to contain my anger was becoming more difficult.