29 | Close Enough

thank u for 5k <3

thank u for 5k <3

Z I O N

I wasn't completely sure how Pearl couldn't hear the way my heart was loudly racing in my rib cage. She was so close to me, and the feel of her smooth palm touching my calloused hand made my mind go blank.

The feel of the cold metal against my skin wasn't what cooled my nerves a few moments ago.

She did that.

I wasn't sure how she managed to get me to hold my breath, but suddenly I couldn't breathe, and then I was forced into breathing when she moved away.

Whatever I was beginning to feel when I was around her made me so unsure of anything I've ever felt with anyone.

Is this what falling in love feels like? I think it's close enough.

"Pearly!" Mia called out to Pearl when the bell signalled the end of the period.

I could tell by the sudden stiffness in Pearl's shoulders that she wasn't looking forward to engaging in a conversation with Mia.

"Do you want to bunk up together? For the beach trip this weekend?" She asked sweetly.

Pearl shifted uncomfortably, adjusting the straps of her bag on her shoulder.

"Sorry, Mia," Before I could stop myself, I slid my arm around Pearl. "She's with me."

Pearl dipped her head for a split second, and I assumed she was trying to hide a smile. I wanted to see it, though. Her smiles lit up my day.

"Sorry, Mia," Pearl repeated, sounding half-genuine.

"Oh," Mia's light eyes glanced between the two of us, a look of repulse forming on her face. "Okay, that's fine."

She sauntered away, moving over to the other girl in the class.

"Thank you," Pearl lifted a hand to touch mine, resting along her collarbone.

"Any time," I replied, walking out of the classroom with Pearl pulled toward my chest.

I didn't think much of it as we moved past the door, or when she subconsciously snuggled her side closer to mine. But then we received glances. Side glances, full looks, double-takes.

Pearl scoffed, shaking her head at the nosey fuckers.

"Oh no," She murmured to me. "It's the ex-alcoholic hanging around the criminal. Who knows what they might do?"

I looked down at her, appreciating the view of her face from up high. She still looked breathtaking, even as she furrowed her dark eyebrows, which created a small wrinkle between them.

"Maybe they'll rob a bar together, huh?" Pearl slanted her head to face me.

I couldn't stop the large grin from spreading on my lips.