31 | You're Worth It

P E A R L

P E A R L

Zion's words of reassurance made me step out of the door. His hand dropped from my shoulder and landed on the small of my back as he led us down a few steps.

Mia and Anton engaged in a conversation as they walked toward a strip of cafes and restaurants further down the street facing the shore.

Ed walked behind them, occasionally taking quick snapshots of the ocean with his camera. They were either for personal use, for the school newspaper of our little trip, or both.

Autumn strolled behind him, tilting her head to the side, watching him with a little smile on her lips.

Her blue bikini straps curled around her neck, beneath the black tank top she wore. Her dark hair was tied up, revealing her olive skin in the setting sun.

The closer we got to the rest of them, the more I heard a thrumming of music. It was then I noticed the speaker in Autumn's hand. It was emitting music at a low sound, aware of the other people mingling around us.

"It's so weird," Zion commented, catching up beside me.

"What?" I slanted my head to look at him. He looked down at me.

"Seeing people having different lives. There are so many stories to be told, and we won't ever have the time to hear every single one," He told me with soft eyes.

"I think that allows us to appreciate the stories we do know," I voiced my opinion. "It's bittersweet."

He nodded, drawing his eyebrows together in thought.

"I want to know you, Pearl," Zion's voice was firm. "I want to know your story."

The sun gleamed in our eyes, and he was close enough for me to see my reflection in his eyes.

"I want to know your story, too, Zion."

I want to be a part of your story, Zion, is what I should've said.

"Get what you need, then we'll meet on the spot over there," Ms Mac interrupted our small moment of intimacy.

We both followed to where she pointed, a place on the sand in the distance.

She let us trail off into the strip, and we welcomed the smell of food from the multiple stores. Spices, soft fragrances, fried food and the smell of the beach filled our senses.

"What are you having?" Zion asked, keeping his hand firmly against my back.

I didn't want to have something heavy. I was feeling a little nauseous and didn't want to risk feeling more sick.

"Maybe like a small burger or something," My eyes met a cafe with burgers on the sign, and I started to walk in its direction. "What are you going to have?"