26 | Don't Break Hearts

P E A R L

P E A R L

"Hold the fuck up," Levi complained from behind us.

"We're holding the fuck up," River almost shouted back at him as they both picked up their pace through the airport.

"No, you're running the fuck away,"

"No jures!" My mother slapped both their heads, warning them to not swear again.

Nevaeh walked sulkily among us, trying to hold back a frown.

"Relax, we're Hispanic," She remarked. "We arrived at the airport three hours before the flight."

"Eh, and you need time to go to the security and get food and do the luggage," My mother waved her off, and Nevaeh gave her a tight-lipped smile.

My father walked alone in front of us. He looked so tiny around the rushed people walking with briefcases so early in the morning. It was only seven, and I could already feel the exhaust of a long day ahead.

"Okay, wait, stop," Levi wheezed.

Nevaeh stopped, so did I, but Enzo and Ma kept walking.

"Ma,"

Eventually, she turned around and saw that one of her twins was out of breath, leaning down to catch a breath.

"Perezoso," She smiled a little and pulled Enzo by the back of his shirt to stop him from walking any further. "What?"

"How 'bout we say our goodbye's here, and then you let us do our thing?" Levi set his luggage beside him.

My mother shook her head, muttering curses under her breath.

"Okay, fine, wait," Levi held a hand up to re-word his question. "How about we say bye to Pearl and Nev, and you and dad can stay back a little longer, huh?"

He smiled so eagerly, my mother couldn't say no to the golden child.

"Sí," She sighed and dragged Enzo's shirt back until she was closer.

"How am I going to be on a plane for eighteen hours with him?" Enzo whispered to Ma, and she flicked his shoulder.

"Yes, okay, sí, that's good," Levi gave her a thumbs-up, and Enzo rolled his eyes.

"I don't know what she sees in you," Nevaeh looked Levi up and down, referring to what my mother saw in her 'favourite' child.

"Oh, come on, don't be like that," Levi grabbed Nevaeh's face and squished her cheeks. "My little, stubborn, shit of a sister."

He brought her to his chest and held her tight in his arms.

Enzo waited his turn and embraced Nevaeh in a hug. Her shoulders rose and sunk, and I knew she was trying to hold back her tears.