08 | Could've Been Worse

Z I O N

Z I O N

"You said you don't date," I asked Pearl out of pure curiosity. "You're not with Alec?"

When Jarrett was getting close to her, a part of me thought she didn't mind it, but then I thought about how she was with Alec.

That wasn't the reason I got so mad.

He touched her without her consent.

It wasn't the first time I'd witness someone touch another without consent.

"I was," I watched her eyes rake her surroundings, anything but me. "I didn't deserve him. I thought all guys were the same, but I was too late when I realised they weren't."

I stayed quiet, wondering why she'd told me that.

It felt nice that she did, though. It meant she wasn't completely scared of me like everyone else was.

"Does everyone still think I'm with Alec?" Her eyes almost shot to meet mine.

I hated the way my heart nearly leaped out of my chest. I refused to believe anything other than the fact that I didn't expect her to look right into my eyes so soon.

"I think they're just not used to seeing a healthy breakup,"

She looked at me like she didn't even hear the words I said.

"Yeah, maybe,"

I watched her move to the door, toward me.

Something about that made me freeze, and I cursed under breath for being so on edge around her.

Pearl heard it and turned to me.

The slight movement of her eyebrows told me she was confused. I was too.

She ignored whatever she saw on my face and went into the class, right into the sound of Mrs MacQuoid's blaring voice.

P E A R L

For the next couple of days, I tried keeping my faux smile believable when I was at home. If any of my brothers noticed, they didn't say anything.

I knew Nevaeh had her suspicions when she attacked me in the kitchen and tried to interrogate me. She was still mad at me for not keeping Xyla, Zion's sister, with us that day.

Things between me and him would've been ten times worse if I had.

After the Jarrett incident, he kept his distance from me. It was expected. He was always off and on with speaking to me, but it didn't really matter because I knew whatever relationship we had was nothing.

"You're both not telling me something and I don't like it," Teagan almost whined as we walked down the hallway.

Edvany widened her eyes slightly, holding something back. Whatever she was thinking about wasn't even close to what I was thinking about.