33 | Goner For Your Smile

a/n: 8k?! why we going so fast 🏃‍♀️ thank you <3

what we've all been waiting for!

also, Kiss the Girl by Brent Morgan kinda reminds me of this chapter :)

P E A R L

By the time lunch had come around, we were all in the water.

I was self-conscious about being in a bikini and chose to keep my beach shorts on, especially in front of Zion.

It was weird that I wanted him to approve of how I looked. No one but me was allowed to have a say on how my body appeared, but the way he gazed at me when I was in my swimwear made me want to vanish.

He noticed how flustered I became under his intense stare and looked away instantly. I loved that he was respectful. It made me like him even more, even at the bare minimum.

"Pearl!" Autumn was out of the water and walking toward her beach bag. "Your phone is ringing."

I rushed out of the water, feeling the harsh wind clash onto my skin. My legs were heavy from the waves as I walked through the sand to grab my phone from Autumn's bag.

Not looking at the caller ID, I answered my phone. It was out of habit - a habit I had to stop.

"Hello?"

"Hey," Alec's voice was hesitant over the phone.

"Alec," I tried to sound happy to hear his voice. I wasn't.

I knew he was kind enough to check up on me, but I didn't want him constantly worrying about me. Not when we weren't together anymore.

"Everything's okay with you, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm doing better than I expected," My eyes landed on Zion, who was slowly moving away from the waves and onto the visible sand.

"That's good to hear, Pearl. Really, I'm proud of you," He told me truthfully.

I smiled, tipping my head down to stop myself from feeling something.

There was no point in doing that anyway because as Zion got closer, all my feelings were directed to him.

"Thank you," I replied.

He exhaled sharply from the other line, and I prepared myself for a turn in the conversation.

"Listen," Here we go. "I- uh, I'm- I saw Riot yesterday."

I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Where?" I willed myself to ask.

"Near the school," His voice lowered. "I was driving home from school, and saw him walking past the park across the road."

"Oh," I tried to act surprised, but it wasn't too difficult because I was confused as to why Riot was near the school.