20 | The Comfort

P E A R L

P E A R L

I wasn't sure how Nevaeh was able to convince me to leave her alone that night so that I could go to Nicandro's house.

She even forced me to my closet, deciding that dressing me up was her coping mechanism. I didn't dare argue.

"Tonight is a bit cold," Nev deadpanned. "You're wearing something warm,"

She plucked out my black leather pants, and I stared at them.

"It's a small gathering," My remark didn't change her mind as she grabbed a cropped black sweater. "It's meant to be casual."

"This is casual," She shoved the outfit into my chest, and I caught them.

Nev gave me some of her gold jewellery to wear, claiming it would be a shame not to accessorise the outfit. I didn't object, feeling as if she'd have my head if I were to disagree.

She helped me put the necklace on, and I added some gold earrings. My gold rings replaced my silver ones. They were my coping mechanism when I was anxious.

By the time Edvany picked me up, Teagan was already at Nicandro's house.

Nicandro was never open to handing his address to random people. I didn't remember any time he offered to host a party, only small gatherings with his friends.

I wondered where that put Teagan, Edvany and me in his category of friends. Either way, I didn't mind being in any category because they seemed like great guys, despite Edvany's wariness around them.

Edvany parked beside Nicandro's house. It was lit up at the front with dim white lights tracing the property grounds. The one storey building was coated with grey bricks, a darker grey layering the archway before the front door.

"I'm letting Tea know we're here," We were still in the car when Edvany texted Teagan.

It was six p.m., and the sky had gone dark.

Edvany turned to me, her eyes scanning my hair.

"Your front strands are curlier," She pointed out.

"Yeah, I'm trying new products," I tightened the low ponytail and adjusted the front strands that framed my face.

Edvany smiled brightly, glancing back at her phone. Her curls were out, resting on her dark shoulders. She wore an off-the-shoulder black shirt and cream coloured jeans. The diamonds on her ears glinted in the streetlights outside.

"She's here, come on," Edvany got out of the car, taking her small purse and keys with her.

I followed her, closing the door behind me.

We walked to the footpath in front of Nicandro's house, where Teagan emerged from a dark grey gate at the other end of the house. I assumed it led to the backyard.