41 | The End of Us

P E A R L

P E A R L

It was the next day when I realised Riot had been silent for the entire week. When I got home, he was by the window in my room.

I stared at the card in his tattooed hand, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion at his determined face.

"You're putting the pearls to good use tonight," He reached the card out to me, and I cautiously took it.

"What's this?" My eyes narrowed on my face and the fake information beside it. "A fake ID?"

"Yes," His answer made me laugh.

"And what am I supposed to do with it?" I put it on my bed and crossed my arms, ready to laugh some more at whatever ridiculous plan Riot had.

He sighed deeply, and his white shirt rippled as he folded his arms.

"It's a Saturday night," His raspy voice stated as if I was oblivious. "With that fake ID, you're going to a club."

I stared at him, watching as his grey eyes stared right back.

"I'm not kidding," A small smirk grew on his lips.

"I know, you never kid," I glanced down at the fake ID, then back at him. "Does the FBI know about this? This isn't illegal or anything? Me getting involved?"

"Don't worry 'bout it," Riot shook his head and took a step forward.

I nodded, worrying about it anyway.

"What do I need to do?" I asked worriedly.

"Stand there and look pretty."

I waited for him to say he was joking, but I had to know better. My eyes widened instead.

"The pearls I gave you. You need to wear them," He said, and I suddenly remembered the 'R' engraved into one of the pearls.

"Alright," I whispered to myself, nodding like I was reassuring myself that I wouldn't die tonight.

"You'll be fine," Riot was extremely observant. He always managed to know what I was thinking at any time. He read anyone like an open book. "Just do as I say, and you won't be touched."

I raised my eyebrows, and he smiled at my reaction.

"Pearl, I won't let anyone hurt you," His voice lowered, and the sincerity lacing it made me believe him.

"Again, though, right? Because the last time didn't go so well," I said it as if it was a joke, pointing to my scarred shoulder.

Riot bit the side of his bottom lip, trying to stop himself from smiling wider.

"I shouldn't smile," He cleared his throat, straightening his face again. "I'm sorry."

"Zandra did it," I mumbled, glancing at the ground. "You don't have to be sorry about it, I think."