NINETY-SIX

- Chapter Ninety-Six -
"Do you even like me?"

"Is there something wrong with your arm?" He asked with his eyes narrowed in concern but she just shook her head and no matter how deceiving she thought she was being, the slight trembling of her arm gave her away and Remus knew for a fact he hadn...

"Is there something wrong with your arm?" He asked with his eyes narrowed in concern but she just shook her head and no matter how deceiving she thought she was being, the slight trembling of her arm gave her away and Remus knew for a fact he hadn't grabbed her that hard.

"Remus, no-" She started to warn when his hand reached for her sleeve but before she could stop him or maybe swat his hand away, her sleeve was already rolled up and the cruel skull with the menacing snake was pitch black against her pale skin and moving with show for the boy to see

He said nothing and the silence rang loudly around the kitchens. Her heart hammered against her ribcage as he stared at it and she stared at him, stared at each individual hair on his head that dropped down with his tilted head. Then he only slowly looked up at her with a face no longer having a trace of affection or desire, their eyes met and Elladora wanted to cry at the look of betrayal glinting inside of them. It was an emotion she had never seen before and as his mouth tilted into a frown, she knew nothing good could come next.

She should've just run. She should've ripped her arm out of his grip again and ran without looking back until she knew she was safe and didn't hate to give any answers. Maybe it would've saved both of them of the pain they were about to endure, maybe Remus would think it was all just a dream, maybe if she ran then everything could've been resolved yesterday.

It would make her such an awful person but she could've tricked him into thinking what happened that night wasn't real, asked him what he was talking about, asked him if he's feeling okay, act the hardest she'd ever acted in her life so he would think he dreamt every single bit of it. Horrible, absolutely terrible, but maybe needed for both of their sakes.

Perhaps she was being selfish to think that. But in the back of her mind she knew it would be even more selfish if she stayed and tried to explain her actions away to protect herself. If she ran and pretended like it never happened, she'd be protecting Remus from the knowledge he wasn't supposed to have and everyone they cared about would be safe from that looming fact too.

However she didn't run. Instead she stayed frozen in place, staring brokenly into Remus' just as broken brown eyes. Like the irises had been cracked, Elladora felt as though all of his emotion was on displays and he couldn't hide it however much he wanted and she suspected she was the same but with an emotion of guilt instead of betrayal.

Neither knew what to say, that was obvious. Between them it was the quietest it had ever been apart from when they'd be reading and Elladora would accidentally fall asleep on his chest and he'd put the book down and just revel in the quiet with quite possibly his favourite person in his arms.

But this was far different and even though some of the elves were bustling away across the kitchen, all Elladora heard was silence.

"What-" He said, so quiet she barely even heard. It was a mutter of a flurry of negative emotions, one that it pained Elladora to her and the small pinch of his eyebrows as if he really didn't believe this was true was somehow even more heart-breaking than the small crack in his voice.