Prologue

"Just breathe and everything else will be fine, I promise," my mother shushed me as my tears fell..

"Mom I know I want to do this but I can't, I'm so tired," I held her tight and crinkled her blouse. I couldn't breathe, my forearms were beyond exhausted. My left one was pulsating in constant pain. I really took it too far this year.

The audience's clapping shook me up again and I was crying twice as hard as I was previously.

"We're going home, this isn't worth a damn. Who the hell would find this recreational?" my dad scoffed as he packed my bags and I grabbed onto his arm pleadingly.

"I've worked too hard and the both of you invested way too much money into this," I sniffled.

"I don't want to see you hurt yourself. You need a break," he looked so concerned...

"Carter, it's okay. I know you want this, you've wanted this so badly since the year started," my mom rubbed my back in circular motions and I was able to breathe again.

"Carter Cammery, you're on," the back stage manager knocked on my dressing room door and I flung myself over the dresser and looked at myself in the mirror.

"This is the last one, mom.. the last one and it'll all be over. No more competitions, no more auditions. No more exams, no more restless nights and days. This is my last and I'm free to walk away... i can't go backwards after moving forward so long," I sniffled one last time and took a deep breath.

My mom was crying and my dad was frustrated as ever.

"Promise me, no more competitions after this one. You need to rest," she cupped my face and lift my chin.

"Don't worry. I hated these all my life but we both knew the school made it part of our curriculum to participate in these..." I mumbled off and she gave a shuddered sigh.

My mom adjusted the shoulder piece of my red wine silk gown and straightened up a little bit. The dress would shine and glimmer everytime it swayed or move.

"You know I'm proud of you," she was looking into my eyes with tears.

"And you don't have to do this, you graduate this spring," my dad informed me. His eyes were red trying to fight his tears.

"Carter Cammery, now or never," the knocking on the door was more aggressive this time.

"Amazing how I dedicated so much time into practicing and the second my nerves are jumbled, I forgot the damn music," I was blinking away tears with a hopeless smile.

"Look at me, no music you've laid your eyes on is ever forgotten. Carter you are by far the most extraordinary thing I've dedicated my life into raising," my mom hushed me and gave me one last squeeze before letting me go...

"Trust that the music is in you heart. Always," she blew me a kiss as my dad held her with a soft smile.

It's time...

"Cart-

"Lead the way," I opened the door and gathered myself.

The stage manager guided me along the ways and whispered came about..

"She's going to perform after all"