𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒: 𝐇𝐦𝐦 𝐌𝐦𝐡

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

Rune was sitting in front of Evan and munching down on cereal as she narrowed her eyes at the plateful of doughnuts in front of her.

Damn those doughnuts and damn Regulus.

"Are you okay?" asked Evan, reaching for a doughnut but dropping his hand when he noticed her angry eyes flicker to his.

"I'm perfect."

"You don't look perfect."

"Neither do you but am I commenting on it?" she snapped.

He had done nothing wrong, and she knew it, but he was the person who was speaking to her, so he was the person who would suffer her wrath.

"Regulus fighting with you?"

She poked her cheek with her tongue and chose silence as she spooned up more cereal into her mouth.

"Will you bite my head off if I take a doughnut?" he asked, warily.

She pushed the plate closer to him. "Eat and see."

He lifted a doughnut from the plate but before he could take a bite from it, he rolled his eyes and dropped it. "I don't want it anymore. Feels like you cursed it."

"Good choice," she commented, mentally cursing all the doughnuts on all the plates at Hogwarts and everywhere in the world.

"He's coming," whispered Evan and Rune licked her lips as she braced herself.

She smelled him first and then she watched from the corner of her eye as he dropped down on the bench next to her.

"Good morning," greeted Regulus.

Evan glanced uneasily between Rune and Regulus and when several seconds passed without her reacting, he replied, "It's a morning but it's not good."

Rune kept her gaze on her bowl even as she could sense Regulus looking at her.

Moments of silence passed, and she expected Regulus to give up and leave but he instead knocked her leg with his and asked, "You okay?"

She turned to him. "Do you want to tell me anything?"

He looked at her in confusion. "About?"

She shrugged. "Anything. Anything at all."

"No," he answered plainly.

She nodded and stood up. "Okay. Morning to you too, Black."

As the frown etched between his eyebrows, she walked away.

Since she left breakfast early and had minutes to spare before lessons and no friends to spend them with, she went back to her room.

Her bedsheets were strewn haphazardly from the tossing and turning she'd done the night before.

Rune suddenly remembered something and bent down beside her bed as she shoved her hand underneath it and felt around until her hand hit the cool hardness of leather. She closed her fingers around the book and pulled out the journal she hadn't touched in months.

The journal was as familiar as ever from her years of writing in it, and yet the way she had easily detached herself from it gave it an odd sense of strangeness as she paged it open.

Ink from words that were written months before immediately caught her eyes.

Didn't mean to be an arsehole.
Sorry.

Rune doubted the person on the other side had sentiments to his journal as she had to hers, but since it couldn't hurt, she grabbed her quill and quickly jotted down.