𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟗: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐥𝐚𝐜 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

Rune and Regulus stood behind a brewing station. 

Protective screens around them shielded them from viewing the students around them while providing a protective barrier from the invigilators who were going to watch them brew their potions. 

Rune cast a wary glance in Regulus' direction. When she'd return to her seat after their bathroom encounter, she'd returned alone- very much still tense and uncomfortable. He ambled in nearly ten minutes after her wearing a cocky grin and looking very pleased with himself. 

She hated him. 

He shot a glance in her direction and asked, "Fantasizing?" 

"About murdering you, yes." 

"Does it turn you on?" he teased. 

"No!" 

He reached forward and stroked his thumb over the corner of her mouth. "You're drooling, sweetheart." 

She swatted his hand away and rolled her shoulders back. 

1000 galleons were on the line. No boy- no matter how handsome and enticing he was- would stand in the way. 

"Okay contestants," said a generic voice, "Time to view your ingredients. Remember, you are allowed to add whatever you want to it, but all five of these ingredients have to be used." 

As she spoke, the five ingredients conjured themselves upon the table. 

Baneberries, Pritcher's Porritch, Abraxan hair, Witches Ganglion, Essense of Comfrey.

"That's quite extensive," commented Regulus. "The ganglion and porritch are ingredients of all potential." 

"The hair, berries and essence have healing properties," added Rune. "We could concoct up a cure for some disease. Which one is popular right now?" 

Regulus shook his head. "That's too obvious. I'm sure everyone will think of that." 

"And," exclaimed the generic voice. "You have two hours. Your time starts now. Good luck!" 

Both Regulus and Rune remained fixed in their spots as they studied the potions on the table. 

"Should we try be different and make a poison?" asked Regulus. "We could make such a toxic one that it could yield no cure." 

Rune gasped. "That's horrible. Imagine the amount of destruction that would bring about." 

"What do you suggest then, genius?" 

"Something to combat destruction. I'm sure the more helpful the potion, the better they'd judge us." 

Several beats of contemplation passed before she gasped. "Oh my God!" 

"What?" 

Regulus noticed the way her face turned several shades darker as she shook her head and said, "N-no, we can't. It's a stupid idea. Let's keep thinking." 

"What is your idea though? We can decide if it's stupid together." 

She pursed her lips before clearing her throat. "From what we know, there's no... contraceptive potion yet." 

Regulus' lips curled upwards, and she shut her mouth. "I said it's stupid." 

"No," he grinned. "No, it's brilliant actually." 

She pointed to the baneberries. "This one can be used to detect... you know what. When Abraxan Hair meets Essense of Comfrey, they create an acidic environment."