𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟓: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

"So, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" asked Professor Slughorn as he poured two glasses of orange juice for them.

"Can't two students just visit their favorite professor?" asked Regulus and as he took the glass, he said, "Thank you."  

"Of course, you can!" exclaimed Professor Slughorn excitedly before sitting on the armchair comfortably and adjusting his sleeping gown so it covered his belly. "I just didn't expect you to visit together since I hear you are a broken-up couple." 

Both Rune and Regulus glanced at each other from the tops of their glasses before Rune laughed awkwardly and asked, "How do you know about that, Professor?" 

 "We professors hear and see everything. Professor McGonagall is the one who noticed when you two stopped fighting and started sitting together. She collected a great number of galleons from the other professors." 

"Galleons?" questioned Rune. "Don't tell me the professors betted on us!" 

Professor Slughorn laughed merrily at the shocked expression on her face as he lilted, "Well, we could all see the way you two acted. Tell me, are you back together?"

"No," answered Regulus quickly. "No, we realized that we're not right for each other."

Rune tried as best she could to control her facial expressions and not display even a spec of how much those words hurt her. 

"That's a shame," commented Professor Slughorn, with a shake of his head. "You would have had brilliant children." 

Rune couldn't help but scoff at the statement which had Regulus turning to her with a bewildered expression. 

"You disagree?" he asked. 

"Oh absolutely! My children would be brilliant. Regulus' children on the other hand would be so intolerable that it would overpower my brilliance."

"Excuse you? You're the one who's intolerable." 

"You're the one who's got a fat stick shoved up your arse—" 

"Okay!" interjected Professor Slughorn. "More juice anyone?" 

"No, thank you, Professor," answered Regulus in his poised, respectful voice. 

He cleared his throat before saying, "Actually, Professor, we're here to ask you for a small favor." 

Professor Slughorn sat up, looking interested and said, "Yes, m'boy." 

"Actually, on our way up here today," explained Rune, "We came across a kitten who's injured. Madam Pomfrey can heal it, but she needs vervain infusion to do it. She told us you might have some and we were wondering if you could lend us a bit?" 

"I wish I could help you," began Professor Slughorn. "But vervain infusion is not easy to get your hands on and I need it for—"

Regulus said, "Professor, Rune used to have this cat when she was younger." 

Rune's eyebrow twitched slightly but that was it because she quickly contorted her face into a sad one as the Potion's professor turned to look her. 

"He was beautiful," lied Rune sadly. "He had the prettiest grey fur and the most gorgeous blue eyes. He was my first friend." 

"Yes," continued Regulus as he reached out to give her what was meant to be a comforting pat on her back. "Then one day, her cat died suddenly. She's never recovered from it." 

"It wasn't so sudden," interjected Rune. "You see, the orphanage I was in had this cruel lady who worked downstairs. She was truly horrible." 

Rune lifted her sleeve to display a bruise she'd gotten a week ago and sniffled, "She'd hit me sometimes. It left physical scars but the emotional ones..."