twelve

𝔄𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔯 breakfast, you retired to your room again. You couldn't shake the feeling that you should apologize or something to the pirate captain for your wild guess. He'd seemed the most tense you'd ever seen him, and you were surprised to find you didn't like it. So you took a deep breath and, crossing to the closet, pulled the dagger from the lock and rapped softly on the dividing wall between your rooms. 

A surprised shuffling from inside told you he was, in fact, in his room. Remembering what he'd said before entering your room and definitely not wanting to catch him otherwise, you called, "Are you decent?", your finger resting on the small rose carving. 

"Sure. Come on in, Princess." Came the response, and you could practically hear his smirk. 

But you pushed the button anyway and stepped onto his side, starting on your apology immediately in an attempt to get it over with as quickly as possible. 

"I'm sorry for the way I-" You cut off sharply as you saw him perched on the edge of a chair, thoroughly engaged in cleaning his sword, looking up at you with a ridiculously transparent 'innocent' expression as the straight blade of the sword balanced across his thankfully cloth-clad thighs-- shirtless. 

"You liar." You whipped around, not looking at him, using the excuse to calm the pink on your cheeks. It was definitely mortification that caused the blush, it had to have been. "You said you were dressed." You hissed, planting your hands on your hips with your back still ramrod straight to him.

"No, I said I was decent. Enough, that is." He corrected you, and you heard him stand. Risking a quick glance back, you saw him putting away the sword and completely ignoring the shirt that was tossed on the floor. "And I am." He started moving towards you, and you tore your glance back toward your rooms. 

"You've been sailing for weeks, Princess, haven't you seen how many of the boys and men go without their tops?" His tone was purposefully teasing, and you hated it, hated how close he was now... how right he was, and how you really shouldn't have had that reaction but it was too late now to play it off. "And considering how warm it gets, can you blame me?" His voice was a whisper, so close to your ear you nearly jumped.

You still held your tongue, hoping he didn't see your blush, didn't attribute it to the 'warmth'. 

A soft chuckle sounded, and he drew back, slightly, and suddenly you could breath again. 

"So, Princess, what can I do for you?" 

You turned around slowly, biting the inside of your cheek and crossing your arms firmly in front of you, giving yourself some semblance of control, swinging the power balance in the room back to the middle. You opened your mouth to finish the apology-- to get out of there-- but the words refused to come, and instead you heard your voice saying, "What did those words mean earlier? When you left the dining hall..." 

His lips curved with a slight smirk, and you didn't know where to look. You couldn't look at his lips, couldn't look straight forwards for obvious reasons, couldn't look at how his muscles pulled taut as he crossed his arms to mimic yours. So you focused on his eye instead, gaze bouncing between the patch and his eye as he spoke. 

"I don't think I can tell you that quite yet, Princess." He said, his gaze darting over your face, not settling at any point, just drinking you in. 

"Why not?"

One shoulder lifted in a lazy shrug and he stepped slightly closer as you stepped slightly back. "I have my secrets. And you have yours." 

You couldn't deny it, couldn't deny he hadn't pressed you for any information, information he had to know you had. "What language, then? Tell me that much," You said, hating how eager you seemed but at the same time, needing to know. 

His lightning fast smirk swept over his face again, and he leaned closer, one hand reaching up almost unknowingly and brushing the slightest bit of hair behind your ear. "Elvish." And with that he pulled back, and you realized you'd been moving backwards and he'd been moving forwards, and you were standing in your own room now as he pushed the button, closing the wall between the two of you. 

And you were left with the knowledge that he was definitely, without a doubt, more dangerous than you'd thought.