twenty-nine

𝔅𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔡 Diamond said something in Elvish that sounded like the opposite of the soft words he usually said, jumping up and marching over to the door. 

"What?" He said loudly, not opening it. 

"Is that any way to great an old friend? That Talin Princess' manners must be rubbing off on you." A voice drifted through the door, sounding annoying and annoyed simultaneously. Your opinion of whoever it was dropped several notches.

"It is if that 'friend' is you," Blink muttered, dropping his head to rest against the door with a dull *thunk*. 

"What was that, I couldn't hear you through the sound of the door, which is still closed." 

"I'm busy. Go away." Blink raised his voice and enunciated clearly.

"I don't think I will, cause your dad said to make sure you had a chaperone and sent me. Open up, I wanna see your new Princess." 

Oh, he was setting the bar low.  

"Now, of all times..." With a groan, the pirate unlocked the door, and it swung open before he even touched the doorknob. A boy stood on the other side, tall, dark, and irritatingly handsome. But not, you noted, as handsome as Blink. Unsure why you were comparing and why that specific noting made you feel slightly smug, you shook your head slightly to clear your brain of such thoughts and adjusted your position so you were better situated on the couch. 

The boy walked in without waiting for anything else, running a skeptical eye over Blink, the room, and then you. 

Casually he made his way over to the sitting area, bypassing the empty chair to sit directly next to you on the settee. 

"No restraints?" He noted mildly. 

"I can handle her." Blink smirked a bit at you behind the boy's back.

"She's pretty enough," The newcomer said, looking you up and down again and reaching out to wind some of your hair around his finger. You sat stock still, not wanting to mess up everything but shooting Blind Diamond a look. A you-better-do-something look. "Not sure how well this will match the crown, though." The boy mused.

"Back off, Zane." Blind Diamond said coldly, sinking into the chair. 

"Or what?" Zane smirked, dropping your hair but not moving away. "She's a quiet one. Always thought you'd go for the more firey types... quiet ones were my game."

"Come here, Princess." The pirate said, seeing you tense and guessing rightly you were going to expose your 'firey' ness. You gritted your teeth and stood, crossing over to him. He promptly pulled you down to sit on his lap, hands firmly on your waist. Your eyes widened, and you let out a slightly surprised squeak, suddenly becoming very aware he hadn't replaced his shirt.

"Let's get a few things straight." The boy behind you said, practically glaring at Zane. "There's no game going on. As you can see, I've already won the prize." The last sentence was said with such a note of smug satisfaction you wanted to elbow him. And then he rested his chin on your shoulder and you had trouble remembering why, exactly you wanted to do that. 

"Prizes are fickle things. Women even more so." Zane said with the air of someone well experienced, and you tried to decide if he actually thought that that was as profound as he sounded when he said it. You thought so. 

"And yet you're forgetting who you're talking to." Blink's tone took on a mildly threatening air that for some reason made your heart skip a beat. "She's mine, and she will be until I say otherwise."

Zane sat back with a vaguely disgruntled manner. "No need to get territorial." 

The pirate smirked a little, sliding his arm around your waist and gently brushing your hair over your right shoulder with the other. "Oh, of course not." His tone was carefully mocking as he adjusted you so that he could keep sights on the enemy. "This is hardly territorial." 

"It's not like she's dressed in your colors. In your rooms. On your lap, for heavens sakes. I'm sure this is what your father meant when he sent a chaperone." 

"No need to keep up the chaperone act, I know him enough to know he doesn't give a fig what I'd be doing with her." 

"Okay, fine, I wanted to see the girl." A lazy shrug accompanied Zane's words. "She didn't disappoint, I must say." 

"Don't you have somebody else to bother? One of the maids, perhaps?" 

Zane stuck out his lips in a pout. "All the maids are old. There's no one pretty, young, and single on this entire ship. Except for the princess there." 

Blink rolled his eyes at the boy's pronouncement. "Why are you even here?"

"Father sent me. Said I needed some opportunity to 'work', for whatever reason." 

"Maybe because you're a spoilt brat." You mumbled before you could stop yourself. 

"She speaks?" Zane marveled, not catching your words. "And what does she have to say?" 

"Better speak up if you want to get it through his thick skull, love." Blind Diamond whispered in your ear, breath ghosting gently over your skin. 

You stopped yourself from smiling. "I-- I was only wondering who your father was... Zane." 

"Alexander, The Earl Alexander." The smirk that accompanied the pronouncement signaled you to nod in pretend awe, even though you really had no idea who that was. 

"His father manages trade for most of the kingdom. Very well off family." Blink whispered to you again. "And, unfortunately, very disagreeable." 

"As such, my title is Lord Zane."

That wasn't, actually, his title, you knew, as 'Lord' was reserved for the children of the rank of marquess and higher. 

"And yet, a higher ranked personage is entitled to drop the titles of those beneath them." You blinked innocently at him. Blink let out a chuckle that vibrated through you. 

The boy glared across at you. "You may want to think about getting a bridle for your showpiece, old friend." 

"I quite like it this way." Blink mused. "How did you describe it-- firey?"