twenty-six

𝔄 couple minutes later you carefully inched your way out from behind the screen. Blind Diamond was carefully avoiding looking at you, a silly little grin still playing on his lips as he messed about with papers on his desk. 

"The King is expecting me to join him for dinner. He wants you to be there too." He said after a couple seconds. You sat down carefully on the couch. 

"I'm guessing we don't have a choice." 

"No, not really." 

"And I'm also guessing he won't be sliding notes under your door if you don't show up." 

His smile widened a bit. "No, not really." 

"I'll do it." You said, sighing as if resigned to the task. 

"I thought we'd established that, when you said so and then kissed me again." 

"That wasn't a kiss," You quoted his own words back at him with a little smirk. 

"Would you like to try again?" The prince said, smirking right back at you. 

You opened your mouth to reply when a sharp knock sounded. 

In a flash he was around the desk and by your side, grabbing the leather handcuffs and attaching one to your wrist and the other to his own. "You know I love it when you sass me, but please don't do it to the King." He muttered in your ear, tugging you over with him and opening the door. 

"Dinner." The woman from before said curtly. Ah, so maybe she was like this with everyone, not just you. 

The prince nodded, towing you out the door and shutting it behind him, locking it and dropping the key necklace under his shirt. 

"Come on, Princess." He said, leading you at a fast pace down the corridors of the ship. You trotted to keep up, trying to appear meek. 

Maybe I should join an acting group when this is all over, I'm rather good. You thought to yourself as Blink pulled you to a stop outside a door. 

He rapped smartly on the door with his knuckles, looking back at you. "Just go along with whatever I do, 'kay Princess?" 

You nodded slightly reluctantly. That was a slight damper on the experimentation of your newly discovered acting skills, but upon entry to the dining room and catching sight of the king the lighthearted thought dropped out of your mind.

 "Son." The king looked up, nodding at the boy. 

You saw the slight clench of Blink's jaw as he preformed a half bow to his father, pulling you towards the table. 

"Father." He murmured. 

The king's gaze darted to your cuffed together hands. "Is she behaving?" 

"Delightfully so." Kid Blink sat on the long, low bench on his father's right hand side. "Sit down, Princess." He told you, and you obeyed. 

"Wasn't I right about the colors?" The boy remarked to his father, smirking wickedly at you. You let yourself blush and glance away as he carefully held your hand in his underneath the table. 

"I suppose." The king admitted slowly. 

"I was meaning to talk to you." Blind Diamond said, beginning to make conversation with his father. "I was hoping you might reconsider your plan to barter this one for Talin." 

"Why should I?" The man said sharply. 

"Because I want both." Blink replied coolly, his grip on your hand tightening as he stared down his father. 

A cold moment passed, and then the king laughed lowly. "You're getting more like your father every day, my boy." 

Now it was your turn to squeeze his hand gently as you saw his jaw tighten again.

"I'll allow it." The king pronounced eventually. "A surrender and abdication should be more than enough, if you're sure this is the one you'd rather have." 

"I am." The pirate/general/prince said with a slight smirk, moving to rest your joined hands on his knee. 

"And what does she think?" The question surprised you. The last thing you'd expect the king to do was to care. One glance at him revealed a sly smirk that let you know he was waiting for your answer and that you'd better give it carefully. 

"I..." You said softly, glancing at the boy next to you. 

"She wants me too. Tries to deny it, but I can tell. I'll get through to her soon." The boy interrupted with a smirk. You blushed and turned away to try and hide it. Blind Diamond reached out and cupped your jaw with one hand, turning your face back to his. "Ain't that right, Princess?" He smirked slightly, seeming to tell you you weren't going to get off so easy. You jerked your face from his careful hold, glaring at him and knowing if you'd seemed too eager the King would either suspect something or even do something to spite the two of you.

Your efforts were rewarded by another low chuckle from the King, and after a beat Blink did the same. It sounded significantly better than when his father did the same. 

"Well, what are you waiting for? I know you haven't had a good meal in weeks, off on that boat of yours, go ahead and eat." 

Blink nodded his thanks to his father, starting to eat with his right hand. His left was still clasping yours, and you sat still, seeing as you weren't left handed. 

"Go on, Princess." The man smirked, sensing your slight indecisiveness. 

"She'll eat when I'm done." Blink interrupted, and you could nearly smack him. Again. You were hungry, dang it! And why did he think he could-- 

His hand squeezed yours, carefully, even though he didn't look at you. You sighed internally. Of course, he probably had a reason. 

"Yes." His father sounded impartial about the fact, seemingly already bored by the conversation. The two moved on to other matters, and after a few more minutes Blind Diamond scooted you his plate. There was still just under half of each food left undisturbed, but still, you didn't want to eat his leftovers. A quick look from him set you to eating, though, still trying to convince yourself he had a good reason. 

You sat carefully through the remainder of the meal and the dessert-- strawberries and mousse-- even going so far as to feed Blink a strawberry upon his request, a blushing mess the whole time. Especially when he returned the... favor, you could call it.

And when you eventually left the room, in Blink's tow, you didn't even retort to the blood broiling remark the king made about a possibly more convenient way for his son to lead you around (a leash) or the way Kid Blink gripped you tighter as you walked through the corridors and finally back to his room, quickly uncuffing you as soon as he was able, and you let yourself sink down onto the couch and glare at the nearest possible outlet. A.K.A, The prince.