fifty-one

𝔜𝔬𝔲𝔯 footsteps echoed through the wooden halls as you tried to keep up with Blink in your stupid formalwear. Luckily-- or perhaps not-- his seemed to be hampering him just as much as the two of you raced through the elven palace. You had no idea where you were going, and could only cling to the prince's hand as he led you onwards. Your common sense told you you could run faster without holding his hand, but your body refused to listen and quite frankly, you didn't blame it. 

After what felt like ages, you emerged on flat forest ground. Blind Diamond stopped abruptly, holding a finger to his lips and pulling you to a halt. You nodded at his unspoken signal, silently picking your way through the fallen leaves towards the back of the long, low wooden building you realized must be the stable. The prince opened the small back door slightly and called a soft, questioning greeting in Elvish.  

It was returned, and he relaxed, taking up your hand again and pulling you into the building. A steady stream of Elvish greeted your ears, Blind Diamond shaking his head and attempting to staunch the flow of questions from the stablehand standing there whilst beginning to saddle two horses. 

You looked around for something you could do to help and picked up two familiar knapsacks, the ones you and the prince had been carrying before meeting the elves. With relief you snatched up a change of clothes, but shouts from outside left you with no doubt that you hadn't any time to waste changing. Softly growling, because you really had liked this dress, you slipped the spare pair of trousers on underneath and grabbed your knife. Wincing, you sliced the skirt into two separate halves, a split skirt of sorts, and replaced the knife in your bag, tossing your pirate his. He caught it and handed you the bridle of your horse. 

"Just follow me." He told you with a grin, and you marveled at how calm he was. 

You swung yourself up into the saddle with a raised eyebrow, arranging the fabric of your dress around you. "Lead on, then." 

He grinned again up at you, mounting his horse and urging it out of the barn, shouting something back to the stablehand. 

"To Talin?" Blind Diamond said with a little smirk in your direction before clicking his tongue and squeezing his horse lightly with his thighs. The horse tossed its head once, let out a snort, and began to gallop. You mimicked him and your horse immediately charged after the boy's, faster than you'd ever ridden before. You clung expertly to the reins, holding on for dear life. The wind whistled in your ears, messing your perfect hairdo and nearly covering the sounds of horses and soldiers charging in pursuit. You risked a glance backwards-- the horse was doing most of the work anyway-- and glimpsed royal blue uniforms, glinting with silver. As you'd suspected, Kozmir had found you. Hopefully, however, they wouldn't know where you were going. Or at least, you'd get there well before them. 

With the way your horses were moving, it very well might be possible. And for the first time in a while, you allowed yourself some hope. 

*

And your hope didn't seem unfounded either, not when the elves caught up with the soldiers and you could hear a battle beginning, a battle you'd no doubt the elves would win. Not when your horses continued on at the pace, unfaltering, for hours. Not when you reached a bridge that the horses took in stride, and especially not when Blind Diamond wheeled his horse to a trot and cut the ropes of the bridge suspending the bridge after you'd crossed to meet him.

"Next bridge is a days ride, either direction." He told you proudly, sliding his sword back into his scabbard. "And the border is only a few more minutes away," He added softly, giving you a smile. "You're almost home, Princess."

You smiled back, but as you started to ride again, you couldn't help but wonder how you would find the palace when you arrived. And how, exactly, your country would receive the Kozmiran prince.