thirty-eight

𝔄𝔰 soon as he was physically able, Blink pulled you from the ballroom. He failed to notice how his father frowned, completely fixated on how your feet were dragging and you were quickly slowing down. 

"I'm sleepy," You muttered under your breath, looking very exhausted. 

"I know, Princess, I've gotta get you to your room. No... they'll know where you are... same with my room." He mumbled something in Elvish that was probably a curse. 

"That's kind of hot." You giggled a little, eyes widening. "Oops, did I say that out loud?" 

"No," He said, deciding to save you the embarrassment. Not that you'd remember... probably. 

"Oh good. Because I don't like you. Most of the time. But sometimes you make my heart jump around a little." 

"'S much as I want to hear this, we need to hurry, Princess." He said, smirking slightly. 

"Ooookay. I'm really sleepy." 

He frowned slightly, stopping. You stumbled to a stop and he scooped you into his arms. 

"This'll be faster."

"Mm. You're strong." You mumbled with a tiny smile, wrapping your arms around his neck. 

"Yes, I am." The prince grinned at you, picking up his pace again, taking a shortcut through the gardens and across to the other building. 

"Where're we going?"

"Somewhere safe so you can sleep this off." 

"Sleep what off?"

"Did you drink somethin' in there?" He asked, changing the subject. 

"Um, maybee. Juice." 

"Who gave it to you?" 

"Some old dude. Where are we going?" 

"Somewhere safe," He answered again. 

"I'm supposed to go home! T'night!" You said, remembering and trying to sit up in his arms. 

"Shh, it's okay," He said, reluctantly setting you down. "I'll sort it out, don't worry." 

"Where are we?" You asked, seeing you'd arrived at a bedroom door. 

"My cousin's rooms. You'll like her. And she'll be on our side." 

"Our." You giggled softly, squeezing his hand slightly. "That's cute." 

He shook his head slightly, laughing a bit. "You're cute." He knocked on the door. 

"Thank youuu." You said. "This dress is pretty. And it's in your colors." 

"Yes it is." He smirked softly at you as the door swung open. 

A blond girl stood barefooted, looking at Blink with a raised eyebrow. "Do you know how late it is? You're disturbing a sick woman." 

"You and I both know you're just skipping out on the ball." He said. "Can we come in? Y/N... it's complicated." 

The girl stepped away from the door and beckoned you two inside. 

"Who are you?" You asked curiously. 

"Flo. His cousin." She said, pointing at the boy as she closed the door. "What's going on?" 

"They've drugged her. I'm guessing it worked faster than they thought, if they were planning to question her when I wasn't there." Blind Diamond walked over and closed the curtains quickly, glancing outside. 

"So she'll need to leave now." Flo nodded, getting up and grabbing a rucksack. 

"Yes. And I'll need to leave with her." 

"What?" Flo asked, her head whipping around. 

"Look at her-- she's asleep on her feet." The prince said. 

Your eyes popped open. "'M not." 

"Here, sit down and rest for a minute Princess." Kid Blink pulled you onto the couch. 

"Oh she does have you whipped." Flo remarked, pulling some clothes out. "These should fit her." She added them to the backpack. 

"And that one's dark enough she should be able to sneak around well enough." Blind Diamond added. 

Flo shot him a look. "It's a formal dress. Not in the slightest." She handed you some clothes again. "Can you put these on for us?" 

"O-kay! Where's the bathroom?" 

Flo pointed it out to you, and you skipped to the door and closed it behind you to change. 

"So she's the one you're in love with." Flo commented after you'd done so. 

"Yeah." He shrugged as if it was no big deal, smiling a little bit at the door. 

Flo let out a soft whistle. "What else do you need?" 

"That's all." He nodded to her thankfully. "I don't want them knowing you're involved."

"So I'm the inside man now?" 

"Pretty much." 

"Sounds about right."

Kid Blink laughed a little bit, just as you emerged from the bathroom. "Ta-da. It's not as beautiful. But it's comfy." You laid down on the couch and rested your head on the prince's lap. He blinked down at you, surprised. 

"Can I go to sleep now?" 

The boy was about to agree when the sound of yells and running feet came from the garden outside, drawing closer to your hiding spot. 

"Not quite yet Princess. There's been a change of plans."