forty-six

"𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱 sort of deal?" You asked suspiciously. 

"The sort where you ask a question, I answer the question, and you feed me something." 

"Oka- I'm sorry, repeat that last part?" 

He batted his eyelash at you winningly, scooting his beanbag next to yours. "You heard me." 

"You get food if you answer a question. That's it." You countered firmly. But not as firmly as you would have liked, since he was looking at you like that.

"You're not really in a position to argue." He replied with a winning smirk. "You want answers."

"You want food." 

"I want food. But I'm willing to steal the food from you." 

"I'd like to see you try." You stood up, grabbing the tray teasingly. 

He was up in a flash, brazenly leaning forwards and picking a grape off of the tray. "Mm." 

You frowned slightly and backed up, taking the food with you. Not wanting to drop it somehow, you put it on the table in the corner and stood in front of it, blocking it with a proud smirk. 

He returned it, which made you second guess your plan as he moved easily towards you, very, very close. So close that you had to tilt your head up to make eye contact. 

"I could just reach over you and get it." He said, amused. 

"Answer my questions." You said, biting down on your lip insistently. 

He placed a hand on the table on either side of you, backing you up against it and you had a sudden flashback to the first day you'd met him. Apparently he was thinking of the same, since he was smirking down at you and said, 

"Aren't you glad I kept you?" 

You frowned and brought your arms up defensively, poking him sharply in the chest and drawing a low chuckle from the boy. But you couldn't really deny it... 

"How are you related to the Queen?" You countered with a question, trying to steer the topic away from something that would continue to deepen your blush.

"She's my aunt, I told you. My mother's sister." He said, gaze on your face. Waiting expectantly for something. 

"I'm not going to feed you anything. Take a strawberry if you want it so badly." You huffed, attempting to duck out from his arms but unable to do so. 

He sighed and reached an arm around you, plucking a ripe, red strawberry from the tray and bringing it in front of you. You were momentarily distracted from your attempt to escape his arms as he gave it a tiny nibble on the fat end. 

"Mm. Would you like some?" He said with a smirk, holding it up. 

"How about, you answer a question and I take a bite." You sighed. 

He considered the matter, and his smirk widened. "Deal. Ask away, Princess." 

Mildly concerned at how quickly he agreed, you plucked your biggest question out. "Why do you have so many ties with the Elves?" 

He nodded slowly. "My mother was elvish, you know. We'd stay here every summer, before she died... I still came back in the summers after that, since my father wanted to make sure the elves stayed neutral. Now, take a bite. You promised." He smirked and sank his teeth into the big end of the strawberry, holding it carefully and leaning down.

"You-" You muttered, wishing you had a secret language to swear at him in. 

He smirked around the berry, the tilt of his eyebrows making it clear he was waiting. 

You murmured a couple more things and closed your eyes, reaching up and taking the tiniest nibble of the strawberry's end, very careful to not touch his lips. He made an annoyed noise in his throat as you pulled back, chewing up the rest of the strawberry. 

"You're cheating." He pouted at you, and you couldn't resist a giggle. 

"If you wanted a kiss you could have just asked." 

He perked up slightly. "Can I have a kiss." 

"That's a statement, not a question." 

"Can I have a kiss, Princess?" 

"No." You smirked at his expression, using the opportunity to duck underneath his arms and make your way back to your beanbag. "I'm still mad at you." 

"For whattttt?"

"A lot of things, I haven't organized them yet. Thank you for answering my questions, have a good day." You flopped into the bean bag, stretching out with a soft sigh. 

He hummed lowly in his throat, the noise somewhere between a groan and a growl, stalking over to you with an easy grace from years at sea and years of sword training that you couldn't help but admire. 

"You like to tease me, don't you Princess." 

"Do I?" You  blinked up at him, wide eyed and innocent. 

He smirked a bit, crouching in front of you and dragging his teeth slowly across his lower lip. "Yes you do... luckily, two can play at that game." He leaned in and ghosted a kiss across your cheek, giving the lightest pressure to your lips and pulling away the second you tried to return it, rising to his feet smoothly. "Your move, Princess," he called, heading towards the door with a smirk, leaving you on the bean bag. 

Well, that just gave you time to plan your next move.