nineteen

𝔜𝔬𝔲 lay sprawled on the blue settee. That stupid blue that was the same stupid blue as your stupid clothes. With a sigh, you thunked your head down on the armrest again, staring up at the wood planks above you. A couple more thunks later you stopped; your head was starting to throb and it wasn't worth a sore head. 

Occasionally your gaze drifted to the cupboard door, which was firmly shut. You'd attempted to move something in front of it, but all the furniture was bolted to the floor to stop it from shifting with the waves. So you'd just stuck the dagger in the lock again and left it be. 

You didn't want to see him right now. Or later. Or ever. A scraping sound drew your attention to the door, which had been locked behind you by somebody. A piece of paper slid through the gap between the door and the floor. 

You picked it up and scowled at the writing. 

Dinner will be in my office at 6 bells. 

-K.B.

Another slip of paper scooted through while you stood there. 

There's a dress in the closet. 

- K.B.

You crumpled up the notes in one hand, dropping them onto the floor carelessly. 

Another piece slid through the gap. 

Please come.

- also K.B.

You glared at the gap between the door and the floor. "Go away." You said clearly. 

A brief pause. 

Then another sheet of paper. 

No. 

- still K.B.

You dropped your head against the door, and it made a hollow noise. "If I eat dinner with you will you leave me alone?" 

Another piece slid through the gap. 

If I have to. 

- I think you know who this is by now

"Fine! Fine, okay, just leave me alone." You glared at the door. 

Another paper slid into your room. 

=)

See you at 6, Princess.

-L. B.

You rolled your eyes, picking up all the scraps. The man used like 10 trees in just as many minutes. 

You paused for a second, looking at the final paper. 

Who was L.B.?

*

Five bells sounded soon after, and you realized you should probably get dressed. Then you realized that you quite frankly didn't care. Not opening the cupboard at all, because you were relatively sure if you looked at the dress you'd want to wear it and you didn't want to give him the satisfaction, you tried the door handle.

When it turned, you realized it had been unlocked. When, you had no idea. But that didn't quite matter as you crossed the deck and climbed the ladder to the main deck, heading for the cabin. You didn't see a single soul; crossing past the galley you could hear the cheerful sounds of the crew having their meal, and you wished you could instead eat there. 

But you did want him to leave you alone, so... you knocked on the door. 

"Come in," The voice inside brusquely said. You frowned a little, opening the door. 

"Look, you wanted me here." You said, crossing your arms and entering. 

He was wearing his fancy clothes again. You still matched, for some reason. He raised an eyebrow at your outfit but didn't say anything, and then you thought maybe you should have worn it. 

"Yes, I did." He said, rising to his feet and crossing the room to stand next to your chair and offering you a seat, pulling it out slightly. 

You sat, smoothing your clothes as he pushed your chair in. 

Blind Diamond moved around to his side of the table again, sitting down and looking at you carefully. 

"What are you doing?" You shifted under his gaze. 

"Making sure you're not hurt." 

"A little late for that, don't you think?" 

"Better late than never." He shrugged. "You're not, are you?" 

You shook your head. "No." 

"Good." He ran a finger around the rim of his glass thoughtlessly, still looking at you carefully. 

You raised an eyebrow and placed your hands in your lap. "Shall we?" You nodded to the food on the table, wanting to get this over with. 

"We shall," He said, seeming to snap out of it and removing the covers from the place. "Help yourself." 

You did so, dishing up some food and beginning to eat carefully. 

"Why'd you go?" He asked after a couple minutes of silence, his voice abrupt. 

"Pardon?" You placed your fork on the plate, looking at him with a raised eyebrow. 

"Why'd you go?" He repeated, biting his lower lip. 

You tore your eyes away. "Well, let me think. I'm not supposed to be here, am I? I'm supposed to be in Talin, with my family, on a tiny little excursion near the seaside, because it's safe there."

He listened to you quietly. 

"And instead, I'm on a ship, and I've been on one for weeks, and I've been abducted by pirates twice, my sword skills are falling to pieces, I haven't taken a proper bath in weeks, my uncle has gone missing in a port city in the country we're on the brink of war with-- why do you think I left?" 

"So it wasn't anything I did," He said, a surprised note in his voice. 

"I suppose not directly." You said, raising your eyebrows straight up. 

"Good." He nodded, thoughtfully. "Very good." 

"What did you think you'd done?" 

The captain looked surprised at the question, as if not expecting you to ask it. "Oh, I thought you'd found out I fancied you."