twenty-eight

𝔜𝔬𝔲𝔯 eyes fluttered open the next morning to the sight of Blind Diamond washing his face in a porcelain bowl on the wooden washstand, back to you and clad only in a pair of carefully tailored pants. You blushed slightly and flipped over to face the other direction, noticing as you did so a pillow had been placed under your head and a blanket covered your body as you lay on the couch. Your eyes bored holes into the fabric of the settee for a few moments longer, before a soft chuckle sounded from behind you. 

"Seem to remember you were facin' the other way before you woke up, Princess." 

It had sounded like he'd sat down, and you risked a glance in his direction. He had. And he'd not moved to put on a shirt, either. It was like he was trying to fluster you. 

"This is more comfortable." You replied, quickly darting your gaze back to the couch. 

"And more boring." He said, sounding slightly put out. "What's the point in this if I don't get to watch you become adorably aggravated?" 

"The point is that we can have a proper conversation." 

"What if I don't want a conversation?" 

Oh, you could tell he knew you were blushing, the smile in his voice clearly evident. 

"Well then we couldn't have one. It takes two to do so, you know." You said, sitting up and turning around, folding your arms in front of you and meeting his eye boldly. 

His smile, already present, widened. "It does. What would you suggest we do instead, Princess?" 

"What would you suggest?" You countered. 

"I believe you know the answer to that," He said, smirking at you now. 

"Yes, but I'd rather hear you say it. Confess, you know." You said, crossing your legs and raising an eyebrow. 

He stood up and moved to sit on the opposite end of the sofa as you. "I bet you would, Princess. Unfortunately I've decided that I'm not going to kiss you until you initiate." The last was delivered in a tone entirely too smug for his own good. 

"Oh, have you now." You said with a slow nod. 

"Yes, I have. At least, when we're alone. I may do it in public, if I see somebody looking at you too long. Or if the king looks like he's expecting it. Or if I feel the need to." 

"That's a lot of ifs." You commented. "And they seem to accommodate nearly all the times." 

He shrugs, a lazy smirk playing on his lips. "I'm the Crown Prince, love, that's what they're expecting." 

"And yet I thought someone like you would deny all expectations." 

He shifted a little on the couch, resting one arm against the back as he turned to face you. "I try." He said, suddenly serious. "And I'll do more, when I'm King. But that will be years, and since I'd like to make it to that time unscathed, I compromise when I can." 

"Like with me." 

He sighed, looking at you with what you could only classify as puppy dog eyes. "I'm sorry it's gotta be like that, Princess, I really am. I'm gonna get you out of here, but for now you just gotta trust me. And that's why I'm only gonna kiss you if you ask or if you kiss me first... I don't want you to have to pretend more than you have to." 

For some reason your throat was dry, and it was harder to get the words out above a whisper. "What happened to all the 'I know you like me's?" You asked him, not even noticing you were moving closer to him. 

A brief flash of something that looked like pain swept over his face. "I remembered my mother." He said shortly, but you could tell he wasn't angry at you. Just the memories your words brought up. 

You stayed quiet, listening as he told you about his mother. How it was an arranged marriage. How she kept him safe and showered him with as much love as she could, knowing he wouldn't get it elsewhere. How she died when he was 6. And how he suspected his father of killing her, saying that a future king didn't need that.

"She didn't love him. And I don't want you tricking yourself or forcing yourself to do anything you don't have to just so you can get home. Nobody deserves that." 

He wasn't looking at you now, picking at a loose thread on the back of the couch with intense concentration. 

Feeling emboldened, you touched his arm lightly. His gaze snapped across to yours as you said softly, "Don't worry. I won't be doing anything I don't want to do." 

And you slowly started to lean in, and you closed your eyes, and then-- a sharp knock sounded on the door.