thirty-two

𝔗𝔥𝔢 ship docked in a reserved port. The gangplank, which would usually lead to the ground, instead stretched directly into a waiting carriage so that neither the King nor crown prince had to step foot on the muddy dock. And you, now, as you followed Blind Diamond dutifully into the four person carriage. 

It was made for luxury, no expense spared, so the seats were wide and carefully padded to ensure those riding inside would only feel the biggest jolts on the road. Blink had you sit by him, which you didn't complain about. Unfortunately, seconds later, the King said something about how his son was leaving him already, and basically made him sit next to him. Which left you next to the fourth occupant of the carriage; Zane. 

The bench wasn't big, but it was big enough you shouldn't have had to scoot repeatedly away from him. And yet, that was what happened. You could tell Blind Diamond was getting more and more irritated as he attempted to keep up with his father's conversation and hide his irritated glares at his 'friend'. Eventually you ended up practically pressed against the carriage side, and Zane looked like he was about to move again. You'd had enough. You got up and took a couple steps over to Blink, smirking slightly at Zane's shocked inhale. 

"May I sit with you, Your Highness?" You said quietly, folding your hands in front of you and looking at him hopefully. 

"Of course, Princess." Blink said, quickly recovering from his slightly frozen-with-shock ness and smirking at you. "Father, would you mind..." 

Zane looked even more astonished that the King was being asked to move. Not only to move, but to move next to him. The King laughed and patted his son's shoulder. "I see I'm already being replaced with your... plaything." 

Your jaw tightened in anger in mirror image to Blink's, but he controlled himself with years of practice. "You can't blame me. Just look at her in this dress." He smirked a little bit wider up at you, somehow making it look apologetic as he tugged you down to sit on his lap, your legs folded onto the seat next to him as he leaned back. Not particularly wanting to look at the King or Zane, you wrapped your arms around him and leaned into his shoulder. 

Blind Diamond adjusted position a couple times to make sure you were both comfortable, draping an arm casually over your lap, then turned his attention to Zane. 

"Thought I told you to step off of my girl." He asked with a devilish quirk of his eyebrows. 

"Didn't do anything." Zane replied mulishly. 

Blink seemed wary to push it more with his father in the carriage, returning his attention to you. 

"I'm sorry I didn't say anythin' sooner, Princess, an' forgive me for bein' so forward... but that was the hottest thing I've seen you do since we fenced." He mumbled in your ear, and you could feel him smirking. "You don't need to ask to sit by me, I hope you know." 

"Just didn't wanna sit by Zane or your dad," You explained in a whisper. 

"Keep tellin' yourself that." He smirked wider, pressing a tiny kiss to the spot right behind your ear and picking his head up again as if nothing had happened. You felt yourself turning pink. 

"Alright, alright, save it for later." The King 'laughed' again. "I'm sure we don't need to hear it." 

"I'm sure you don't." Blink agreed calmly, and you wanted to see the expression on the man's face. But you didn't particularly want to move, since the boy's shirt provided quite a lot of hiding space. And he smelled quite nice too, for some reason, like pine trees near the ocean. The ocean part was explanatory, actually. 

"Are you sniffing my shirt?" Blink muttered a second later, as the King began asking Zane on the state of the country's exports.