fifteen

𝔄𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔯 a long, drawn out thought process, you'd determined that your best chance of putting the pirate captain at ease was to act like you were beginning to go soft and silly. It was a difficult decision, and you realized you couldn't do it all at once (thankfully) without putting him at suspicion. So you had to do it carefully; slowly. Like you'd started to do earlier today.

"You can come up, you know!" The voice called from high above the rolling deck, interrupting you where you stood alone by the mast. Or, you thought you were alone. Tilting your head up, you glimpsed the girl waving from the top of the mast down at you. "If you want, that is." 

You didn't see why you shouldn't. So you started to climb. 

Your bare toes curled around the rope, providing you with an extra sense of security besides just your hands as you climbed the rigging, up the main mast towards the small platform of the crows nest. Scrambling up the last few feet, you pulled yourself up to grab the railing as the girl already there scooted to the side to make room for you. There was just enough space for the two of you to squeeze together. 

"Hello," You greeted, slightly awkwardly. 

"Hi." The girl grinned happily at you, leaning against the rail with seemingly no cause for concern about the dizzying drop below. "I'm Sunny, if you don't know." 

You nodded a little. "Pleased to meet you. I'm, um," You paused, not wanting to seem pretentious and yet not sure how to introduce yourself to the girl. "Y/N," You finally said, figuring that even though the girl was a Kozmiran sailor she seemed friendly enough. And you'd be leaving anyway, later that day. 

"Hello Y/N," Sunny said, boosting herself to sit on the rail and only causing you a moment's panic before you told yourself she surely knew what she was doing. "Ain't it pretty up here?" She asked with slight wistfulness in her voice, looking out over the ocean. 

You turned to see. She was right; it was absolutely beautiful. The sun sent glimmers of light through the many blues and greens of the sea, the white foam-tipped waves cresting and dissipating again and again. 

"It is," You said softly, your eyes drawn to the contrast of the fluttering white sails and the deep dark wood of the ship with the ocean. "Does it get lonely up here?" You asked curiously. 

Sunny shook her head. "No. We take shifts, really-- Jae's the other one. And..." she trailed off, looking around as if for eavesdroppers (even though you were 200 ft above the deck) "Sometimes I bring Mush up here." She grinned to herself. "We're not supposed to, so don't tell."

"I won't," You shook your head, surprised that the two of them could fit up there; you and Sunny barely could. 

"It's a little cramped, but we don't mind." She said, as if reading your thoughts. "Not too oft'n though, since it's not good to have too many distractions while working." Her prim sentence is completely contrasted by her wiggling eyebrows. "An' I'm sure the captain's thinkin' of you as a distraction too, ain't he." 

You let out a soft, shocked gasp at the revelation. "I'm sure he is not." You said firmly, shaking your head. 

Sunny looked at you for a second. "No offense, but aren't Princess's supposed to have a good education? Can't you tell how he's lookin' at you?" 

"My education didn't cover such topics." You said, managing to keep a straight face at the thought of your etiquette teacher instructing on such subjects. Nearly too late, you recalled your new idea. "But... is he?" You asked, nearly cringing at yourself. 

"Oh, yes." The girl nodded, considering herself quite an expert. "It's obvious, really. He's tryin' not to, of course, but he can't help it. You are very pretty." She points out. 

"I... thank you," You said weakly, actually considering the matter. Could it be actually true? Did he really think of you in that way? Granted, all Sunny was saying was that you were a distraction. You didn't want to be a distraction, a distraction drew attention. Attention you didn't need, attention you were trying to escape. But some part of you smiled a little at the thought of it. Stupid, stupid Y/N, you thought wildly. He was a Kozmiran pirate, and a general, and whatever else he wasn't telling you, and he'd practically captured you, and-- and it didn't help he was so dang good looking, and charismatic to boot!

"Oh, yes, of course." Sunny said with a small shrug, seemingly moved on from the conversation as she slid off the railing, squinting in the direction the ship was heading. A thin gray line was visible on the horizon, stretching out widely and getting darker by the second. "Land ho!" she called, and below you the decks sprang into activity as the pirates began preparing the ship. 

"You should head down, since you're going on shore." Sunny informed you, and you nodded a response, starting the climb down. 

"Thank you for letting me up," You called to her. 

"No worries! Think about what I said," She replied with a smile. 

And you had to. Try as you might, you couldn't get her words out of your head. "...captain's thinkin' of you as a distraction too, ain't he?"