forty-nine

"𝔈𝔵𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔡?" Meredith asked with a small smirk, her dark green dress a near exact copy of your own. The two of you had already received three compliments from the other elvish girls there, and you were considering if Meri was right-- it would become very fashionable.

"You know the answer," You said, as the signal came for everyone to redon their cloaks. You wrapped yours around yourself and fastened it with the pin in the shape of a small gold-and-green bird. The doors opened and the girls began trickling in. Elvish 'tradition' dictated that the men and boys entered first and took their seats first. Meredith had explained that this was actually so that they could rearrange nameplates depending on who was crushing on and/or angry with a particular girl at the time without being obvious about it. And, of course, the girls were all completely unaware. It was a very closely guarded secret-- or so the boys thought.

You glanced around again, and then he was in front of you. He was wearing a suit that fit perfectly, and his tie was the same color as your dress. His eye patch had been exchanged for a black one to match the dress coat, and his smirk was just as sharp as the straight sword that hung from his side. The elves had a thing for weapons at formal occasions, apparently- you'd been gifted a bow to carry along with a small quiver of arrows.

"Princess," Blind Diamond said with a bow that was exactly the proper height and decorum. You responded with a formal nod- you couldn't exactly curtsy in a dress like the one you were wearing. He offered you his arm, and you lightly rested your fingers on his forearm, giving him a smile. 

The two of you walked to the side of the room, where everyone was taking off their outer layer, and you saw your name engraved on a hook. You removed the pin and let the cloak fall from your shoulders, studiously not meeting the prince's eyes as your dress was revealed and you hung the cloak on the peg. You nearly swore you heard his jaw drop, but when you looked back he was still only smirking at you. Even though he did look slightly more flustered. 

"Shall we, my prince?" You hummed, taking his arm again. He definitely looked flustered, you noted with a pleased smile, and it put a little pep in your step as the two of you made your way to your seats. 

When you'd taken your seat and Blind Diamond had stepped to go towards his, you pulled him back with a small smile and pressed a very small kiss to his cheek, right above his jaw. "Your move, Blink." You whispered in his ear, letting go of him right after. 

He was blushing-- actually blushing-- as he cleared his throat and took the seat next to you. Meredith giggled from your right, her companion taking the seat next to her. 

"I think it's working," She hissed to you. 

"Oh, I agree. And we've only just started." You said with a pretty smile. This was shaping up to be remarkably interesting.