thirty-four

𝔄𝔟𝔬𝔲𝔱 an hour later the seamstresses were finished with all they needed. "We'll just take these all up for you now. Oh, you're going to look lovely." Jae said with a nod. 

"Yes, this ball gown will be beautiful." Dia smiled at you. "Now, we need to be going if we're to finish before tonight!" 

"Tonight?" You asked, but they were already leaving. Thinking she must have had a slip of her tongue, you shrugged and turned to survey the room. The space you were in now was a sitting room, with two chairs and a long, low couch around a table. Long windows lined one wall, providing you with a beautiful view. A balcony broke up the windows. A vanity and dresser stood against one wall, and there were two doors to the left. Peeking in one, you saw a large bathroom, not quite as big as your one back home but still decent. The second revealed a bedroom that looked nearly as nice as the one in Talin... but, of course, it wasn't home. 

You sat down on a chair and drew your legs up to your chest with a small sigh. You found yourself wishing that the prince was at least there, that you weren't alone. And then, as if in answer, you heard a knock. But it didn't come from the door which led to the corridor; it came from your balcony. Walking quickly over, you pulled back the curtain slightly and nearly jumped out of your skin. 

Blind Diamond stood, leaning against your balcony with his arms crossed, smirk on his face as the wind blew through his hair. Oh goodness, this was going to be trouble. 

"What are you doing out there?" You asked, pulling the door open and looking around, seeing no way he could have climbed up. 

"Coming to see my girl, if she'll let me in." He shrugged as if it was no big deal, but his proud smile spoke otherwise. 

"How did you--" You trailed off as you saw a rope that hung from the balcony above yours, which was offset slightly to the right. "You didn't." 

"I did. But it's a little chilly out here, so if I may..." He trailed off meaningfully. You moved out of the way so he could come in. 

"I knew you were, you know, but I didn't think you were this..." You muttered. 

"I'm what? Brave? Amazing? Eye catching?" 

"Try insane." You said thoughtfully. "What if you'd fallen?" You collapsed dramatically onto the sofa. "I couldn't bear the thought." 

"Aw, that's cute. But anyway, I've got some bad news." He hesitated, taking a seat on the table for no apparent reason. "My tutor's plan won't work. They've moved the ball to tonight." 

"Is that all? I can leave after the ball," You started, trying to keep your mind focused on here and now and not dancing with the boy in front of you.

"No, it's not... he's going to announce our engagement then. And he's going to declare war on Talin. And... he's already set up troops to start the invasion."