sixty-three

𝔜𝔬𝔲 stood outside the King's rooms, slightly apart from the rest of the crowd that had gathered. Blink had sent you out minutes earlier, saying he didn't want you to have to be there. You had obliged him, not wanting to fight now. And not particularly wanting to watch the king die. 

The soft chatter around the hall completely stopped when the door swung open. Blind Diamond emerged, head dropped slightly. When he lifted it, you saw he'd looked as if he'd been crying, and your heart broke for him. With a deep, shuddering breath, he said, "The King is dead." 

With one voice, those assembled replied, "Long live the King," dropping into bows and curtsies. You did the same, looking up at him when you straightened. He beckoned you to him with a slight tilt of his head, and you crossed to his side. 

"It is with great pleasure I announce the sustained engagement of myself to the Princess Y/N of Talin. Peace talks have begun, and our wedding is to be held as soon as possible." Blink wrapped an arm around your waist, and you poked him covertly. 

"As soon as possible? If my grandmother were here she would have us married by sundown," You murmured, and were rewarded by a soft chuckle. 

"I suppose I'll have to repeat myself in your grandmother's presence then," He said softly. You poked him again, leaning into him slightly. 

"It's a royal wedding, you can't rush things like that." 

"Oh believe me, I know. I intend to though." 

You shook your head and held him tighter. "Are you okay?" You asked, changing the subject. 

He was quiet for a minute, then shook his head. "No. But... I think I will be." 

You hugged him fully, then, burying your head in his neck and letting him rest his head in your hair. He gave a suspiciously long sniff when he pulled away, and you looked up to see a glimmer of tears in his eyes before he hugged you again. You brushed his hair from his face and pressed a kiss to his cheek, right under his eye patch, letting your thumb brush the edge. 

"You're going to tell me about this some time, you know." You murmured, and he nodded. 

"But not now," He said, and you agreed. 

There would be time for that later. 

***

Louis straightened his shirt, glancing at the mirror and back to you and back to the mirror again. "How do I look?" 

"For the hundredth time, you're fine." You said, tugging at his arm. "We're going to be late." 

"Just fine?" He asked, and you rolled your eyes. 

"Very fine, now come on. You want to make a good impression don't you?" 

He let himself be pulled from the room, fixing his shirt again as he went. "I don't see why I have to do this, I've already met your family." 

"Not all of them," You shook your head, and arched an eyebrow at him. "Talin tradition..." 

"Says that every member of immediate family must approve," Your pirate finished, nodding. "I mean, there's nothing to worry about." 

You laughed a little. There's the boy you knew. "Of course not. Unless you're late." 

He muttered something in Elvish and sped up slightly. That's how the two of you entered the Kozmiran dining hall, and he only slowed down when he saw the rest of your family arrayed around his table. He escorted you to your seat, smack in between both sides, and took his at the end. 

"Apologies for the wait," He said, stiffly formal. You nearly rolled your eyes, about to say something to put him at ease when your grandmother did it for you. 

"As well you should," She sniffed, and then winked at you. Oh no.  "Your weight is definitely in question. You're much too skinny, I'm afraid. What kind of food are they serving you here?" 

A small smile twitched at Blink's lips, and he glanced over at you briefly. "I- regular food, I suppose?" 

"Not nearly enough of it, in that case. It's just as well you're marrying Y/N here, if I'm to be able to fatten you up." 

"I think Y/N might like me like this-" Blind Diamond started, smirk on his face, and you coughed loudly. 

"Nonna, I think he's fine," piped your younger brother. "He's a general an' a pirate, so he's prob'ly really strong." 

"See, he gets it," Blink nodded sagely. "You're very smart," He added to your brother.

"I am." Your brother nodded. "I'mma be a general too, y'know. Maybe also pirate." 

"Would you like to see the soldiers training grounds after dinner?" 

"'Ve already seen them," Your brother replied promptly, only to be elbowed by your younger sister. "Oops. We weren't s'pposed to tell you we were sneaking around." Another elbow, as the rest of you began to laugh. 

Blink looked around at the smiling, laughing table of family and you smiled at him. He looked like he was almost going to cry, and you had a brief moment of worry for him. But then the moment passed and he was talking with your family again, and you allowed yourself another small smile at the ease he interacted with them. Not King, General, even Pirate for now. Just your Louis.