fifty-eight

𝔗𝔥𝔢 surrounding area passed by quickly as you rode as fast as you could north. You could only hope that Blind Diamond had gone the same way. You were relatively sure he had, since it was the fastest way, but that voice inside of you was insistently reminding you that you couldn't know for sure. Even if he had, you'd need to catch him before he was in sight of the city if you were to have any hope of figuring something out with him. 

To your relief, after hours of worrying and after it was beginning to get dark, you found him just over the border. He'd made camp just off of the main road, a small fire already going and his horse tethered to a nearby tree. You dismounted next to his horse, looping the reins around the tree and marching over at him. He'd been looking into the fire, and was now squinting in your direction, trying to make you out. 

"Princess?" He gasped after a couple seconds, right as you got near enough to kick his boot. Which you did. 

"You're an idiot." You said as he pulled his leg defensively back to him. "I can't believe you." 

"Hey now, no need to insult me." 

"What were you thinking? Didn't you think I might have something to say about this?" 

"About what?" 

"About you running off in the middle of the night? Not saying anything? What if it didn't work? And then going straight on a possibly suicidal mission?" Your anger mounted with each sentence, and you shot him a glare. "You didn't even say goodbye," You added softly, hugging your arms to your sides as a sudden wave of emotion washed over you. You didn't know how to pinpoint any of it, all you could do was stand there and look at him. 

"I don't like saying goodbye, Princess," He replied quietly, looking back up at you. "I planned to be back before you even woke up, and then I thought I'd be back in a few days or so if it all went well. And if I wasn't, I wanted my last memories of you to be good ones." 

You stayed quiet, not trusting yourself to say anything. After a couple seconds, you said, "Well that's stupid. Move over, I wanna sit down." 

He obliged, scooting on the log to give you some space. You sat down and drew your legs up to your chest, looking into the small fire. "We're going to need more wood," You said after a couple more seconds. 

"I wasn't going to keep it going through the night. Just for a little," Blink started, before pausing. "We?" 

"What were you expecting, me to ride all day just to say 'see ya, good luck'?" You turned to face him, raising an eyebrow. 

"Well you can't come with, Princess, so," He started, but you cut him off immediately. 

"I can and will, Louis, so if you don't shut up and stop arguing I'll have to reconsider my answer to that horrible proposal." 

"Proposal?" Blink asked, frowning at the thought of somebody else proposing to you. 

"'Start planning the wedding'," You quoted, raising your eyebrow again. 

His eye widened and a faint blush, barely visible in the flickering firelight, came over his face. "And, uh, what was your answer?" 

You shrugged. "It wasn't terribly romantic, but I suppose I might be convinced to accept. If a few factors are met." 

"What factors might those be?" He asked slowly. 

"Well for one, I'm going to be helping you with this mission." You said firmly. "With or without your cooperation, although it would be easier if you included me in the planning." 

"No, Y/N, I can't. What kind of person would I be if I put the girl I loved in danger again?" Blind Diamond met your gaze, speaking softly. "I dragged you into this, the least I can do is keep you out." 

"That doesn't even make any sense!" You argued, already ready to get worked up again, when his words made you reconsider your very argument. Your cheeks burned as you lifted your chin and replied, "And the same goes for me. How do you expect me to stand by when the person I love goes into danger again?" 

His visible eye flashed with something you couldn't begin to describe, and then his hand was cupping your cheek as his head dipped down and his lips claimed yours, and your eyes slid shut as you lost yourself in his arms.