forty-seven

𝔄 couple minutes passed as you formulated a plan. This needed to be perfect; you had no intention of letting the crown prince win his 'game'. Soon you'd arrived at what was at least a vague idea, so you hopped up from the beanbag. You were going to need some assistance. 

By some twist of fate, in your favor for once, when you opened the door Meredith was standing there, about to knock. "Oh!" You said, slightly surprised. "Sorry, I was actually just coming to look for you." 

"Of course, how can I help?" She asked, grinning. "I was just coming to tell you there's going to be a banquet-feast-food-thing tonight, and see if you were going to need anything."

A slow grin spread over your face. "Actually, now that you mention it..." 

As Meri led you to the small wooden cabin she explained was yours, you filled her in on the challenge. A devious smile crept to her lips as you wrapped up the explanation and asked for her insiders opinion on how to drive her cousin absolutely crazy. "Oh, this is gonna be fun."

She hailed a passing elf and spoke quickly to them, a flurry of intelligible words passing her lips. The elf nodded and left, and Meredith turned to you. "I'm sending for the tailors." She said with a wink. "Now, let's plan." 

You and her took a seat on the low beanbags you were delighted to find in your room, discussing plans carefully, Meredith filling you in on the sure-fire ways she'd observed to tease the prince. Minutes passed before the tailors arrived, a married couple comprised of tall gangly woman and a shorter, slightly rotund man. They introduced themselves in broken Common and turned to Meredith for her to interpret. 

"I'll have them make three clothing options, one set for tomorrow and two choices for tonight, depending on how risque you're feeling."  Meredith said thoughtfully. "Which colors would you like?" 

You bit your lip, thinking. Tempting as it was to finally be able to wear your own colors again, he'd said he liked you in his... and you were trying to drive him mad. But you couldn't resist the urge to completely waste your chance, either. 

Meredith sensed your hesitation and spoke with the tailors quickly. "They say three possibilities for the day clothes, two each for tonight's." 

That helped your decision slightly, and you couldn't deny you liked the look of the Kozmiran violet. 

"Maroon, gold, and black for the day clothes," You requested. Two of yours and one of his; just as a nod. "And... do violet and white for both of tonight's." You hoped that would make it easier to choose between the two, as you'd no doubt you'd like them both. 

"Perfect." Meredith smirked, recognizing her cousin's colors and your reasoning behind them. She translated quickly and sent off the tailors. "Now, for a brief overview on Elvish customs-- just so you don't get overwhelmed." 

*

The tailors returned just as Meredith was finishing her explanation, which thankfully wasn't too different than the many etiquette rules you'd had to learn for years. You couldn't even stop yourself from being surprised, even though they were elves. The set of day clothes for tomorrow was displayed first, much to your approval. Once you'd safely stowed those in the closet, the two tailors laid your two choices out on the bed. You examined the one on the left first, picking it up and nodding slowly. It was similar in style to some of the older fashions in Talin, simply elegant with a steep back and quiet neckline. The dress was violet with white accents, and you quite liked it. Turning your attention to the second option, your eyes widened and you were sure you were blushing. 

"Well?" Meredith prompted with an evil grin. 

"It's..." 

"Look." She shook her head, lifting it off the bed for better inspection. The violet part of the dress, you could see, was extremely... small. It didn't have sleeves at all and looked very tight. The rest of the outfit seemed to be this sheer, white tinted fabric that didn't even do anything, and there seemed to be all too much of it. 

Your skepticism must have shown, because Meredith handed the violet part to you. "Look, just put on this part and I'll help you with the rest. It's an Elvish style, and I promise it's very popular."

"You're not wearing one."

"It's a dinner dress," She said airily. You shook your head but decided to give her and the dress the benefit of the doubt and ducked behind a changing screen in one corner of the room, discarding your current clothes and tugging the dress on. It fit just as you had thought, just as it had looked, but looking at yourself in the mirror you had to admit it wasn't an entirely bad look on you. 

Emerging, somewhat reluctantly, you made your way back over to Meredith, who nodded approvingly. "Now for this part," Meredith shook out the white fabric, and you could see it was a beautifully embroidered tunic of sorts, that draped around your body loosely. The violet of the dress underneath was still visible, but the shifting white above it made it less of something you were reluctant to be seen in public with, especially as this white fabric folded into long, loose sleeves that ended just past your elbows and pleated to just above your hips, exposing the violet dress that clung to your legs completely below it. 

You took a careful look at yourself in the mirror, and were surprised to find that you liked what you saw very much. 

"And you're sure this is in style? I won't be the strange Talin princess wearing something completely inappropriate?" 

"Ehhhh... I may have exaggerated it slightly... it's something I'm hoping to bring into style." 

"What? I can't wear it then! I'll look ridiculous, like I'm trying to impress the prince or something." 

"Aren't you, though?" 

"No! Yes? That doesn't matter," You groaned. 

"Here, I'll wear one too, okay?" Meredith said with a smile. 

You arched an eyebrow. "Who are you trying to impress?" 

She had the good grace to blush. "Nobody." 

You let the subject drop with a small grin. "At least we'll make fools of ourselves together." 

"We'll be amazing, believe me." She said with a smirk. "Next time you visit with your prince, we'll all be wearing them."

"All?" You asked with a laugh, envisioning Blind Diamond being forced into a skin tight dress and tunic overlay as was 'fashion'. 

Meredith apparently had a similar train of thought as she let out a giggle. "Even though I'd pay good money to see that, maybe not all. But at least half." 

"Okay, I'll do it." You shook your head, smoothing the purple fabric down your thigh. It was definitely growing on you, and if it was what you had to do in order to drive a certain pirate crazy, so be it.