Weddings and Funerals

A/N: This was inspired by @twtpwk28 and their AMAZING comment left on my "Uncle Ben" chapter. It honestly blew me away, so full credit to them for their amazing idea.

It became a tradition.

Every year, on May 3rd, Peter and Tony would meet up at the tower. They would work in silence for two or so hours, and then they would drive down to the cemetery, just the two of them, and visit Ben Parker. The cemetery was rather small, and seemed like it hadn't been visited in a long time. His gravestone was small, and could only fit his name.

"We can't afford a bigger one." Peter wrung his hands nervously. Tony suddenly wanted to punch whoever's idea it was to make grieving families pay for a proper resting place. As if he didn't hate capitalism enough already.

"I'll get a bigger one for him." Tony decided, almost instantly. They never met, but Tony only knew Ben as an amazing person, the person who, along with May, helped Peter become the wonderful and brilliant kid he was today. A man who always stood up for the little guy, who taught Peter to be responsible with his powers.

But Peter shook his head as soon as the sentence came out of Tony's mouth. "No. Ben never cared about big, flashy stuff like that. Honestly, neither do we."

Tony smiled fondly. This kid was just too perfect.

He kneeled down and put the handful of daisies he'd picked up earlier onto the small stone. "Hi, Ben. You raised a pretty great kid, huh?"

Peter's cheeks went red. "Mr. Stark..."

Tony chuckled and ruffled Peter's hair. "Wanna say some words?"

Peter nodded and held up his head. "Hey Uncle Ben. It's... it's really been two years, huh?" He laughed a bit, sad and watery. "For some reason, it feels like centuries ago... and at the same time, like yesterday. Isn't that funny?"

Tony wrapped an arm around Peter silently as he felt the boy start to unravel.

"I think of you every day. Every single—" he buried his face in Tony's chest as he released a shuddering breath, ending on a choked sob. "I wish you could've seen all the good things I do. You'd be so proud of me."

"He is proud of you, kid." Tony ran his fingers through Peter's curls. "He's so proud of you. Just like
me. I'm so proud."

Peter sobbed in earnest, clutching onto Tony's jacket. "Oh god..."

They stayed like that for a while, Tony rocking Peter back and forth as he played with his hair. Peter slumped forward in Tony's arms, resting his head on Tony's shoulder.

Tony carried Peter back to the car. He drove back to the boy's apartment with full intent to leave him with May for the night so they could grieve as a family. That last thing Tony wanted to do was step on May's shoes. She was an amazing person and mother, and she deserved to have a peaceful night with her son.

Peter had fallen asleep during the car ride, so Tony took it to himself to carry him up to their apartment. He knew he could et himself in if he wanted, but he decided to ring the doorbell anyway, not wanting to alarm May in case she thought something was wrong.

When she opened the door, there were tears in the corners of her eyes, her face red and puffy. Tony winced in sympathy.

When she saw them both, she smiled and gestured wordlessly for Tony to come in. He stepped inside and carefully set Peter on the couch, smiling softly at the way he immediately cuddled into the soft blanket.

"Wine?" May asked quietly, sitting next to Peter and squeezing his hand.

"Actually, I'm sober." Tony smiled proudly. It'd been a mix of his rebuilt relationship with Pepper and responsibility of Peter that convinced him to go completely sober. It had been five months and 17 days since he last picked up an alcoholic drink, and he was damn proud of himself.