Losing Tony Stark

A/N: Whoops I wrote a lot of angst. Warning for major character death, but you could probably tell from the title. This has been sitting in my drafts for forever and I just recently decided to go back and revise it. Hope you enjoy!! (Also: THANK YOU for 1K reads!!!!)

———

Peter swung himself forward with more determination than he'd ever felt. His spidey sense screamed at him to turn the other way, but he blocked it out best he could. He couldn't run away — Tony was there. Tony was dying. His heart was beating so fast, it felt at risk of ripping out of his chest.

He planted his feet on the bleak and barren battlefield, eyes scanning frantically for the red and gold suit of armor. Dust kicked up around him as he ran aimlessly in search of his mentor.

Finally, in the distance, he spotted him sprawled out on the ground, motionless.

"No, no, no, no. God, please no. Not him, please." he mumbled under his breath frantically. He willed himself not to fear the worst. Peter bolted toward Tony at an inhuman speed, the adrenaline coursing through his veins pushing out the fatigue. He dropped on his knees next to Tony as soon as he reached him. He felt something warm under him. Numbness overtook his hands as the petrifying thought entered his mind and never quite left: That's Tony's blood.

Tony's face was completely exposed, and a myriad of scratches covered his body armor all over. His face was alarmingly pale, and blood from his mouth, nose, and numerous cuts on his face trickled down to the rough ground beneath him. Peter grabbed his shoulders and shook the man desperately, begging him to wake up until his voice was hoarse.

Tony's eyes cracked opened slightly, before widening and grabbing Peter's forearms to stop his violent shaking.

"Mr. Stark oh my god- oh my god you're- y-you need to go-go get help you-you need to go-"

"Peter."

"No no no you're- you're losing too much blood we gotta get you to-to-to- we gotta get some help Mr. Stark please I need to help you you can't die here I can't watch you-"

"Peter. Please."

Tears fell freely from Peter's cheeks and landed onto Tony's chest plate.

"I can't lose another dad."

Tony's eyes were somber. He looked at every inch of Peter's face closely, as if hoping to grasp onto the last image of a world he was leaving behind as long as he could.

"You're not gonna lose me, kiddo. I'll still be with you. For the rest of your life I'm always gonna be with you. And I'll be watching you. So do me a favor, and don't go splitting any more ferries in half, yeah?"

Peter wanted to force a laugh but he couldn't make himself do it. He had nothing left in him.

"And kiddo? I am so proud of you. Don't forget that for me."

Peter wanted to nod, but his strength was gone. His arms would give out on him any second now.

The life drained out of Tony's eyes, silently. Peter wondered if that's what he wanted - a silent death. But it was anything but silent to Peter. With his enhanced senses, he heard the moment his heart stopped. He dropped his head down onto Tony's stomach and let the tears pour in a steady stream. His body racked with sobs as he covered his head with his hands and tangled his hair in his fingers.

He had to tell the others. He had to let them know what happened. Somewhere in his mind he knew that, but the crushing grief was too strong for him. He'd only felt this way once before. After that, he promised he would use his abilities to ensure nothing like that would ever happen again.

He was wrong. It did happen again. He had failed.