Meeting Tony Stark

Requested by @1000Unicorns!

———

Peter was still reeling over the phone call hours after it ended. Tony Stark — billionaire superhero Tony Stark — had invited him to Stark Tower. Invited.

What?

Peter had talked to Tony Stark a total of maybe four times. Once to recruit him for his weird team in Berlin, and some chatter while fighting in the same proximity of one another. There were a few other times, but they were minor and he doubted Tony even remembered them. Peter figured the man didn't even remember his last name. Why did he want to see him at the tower?

His mind immediately went into overdrive. He had to dress well, first and foremost. Not too casual, this was the Avengers after all, but not too fancy like he was trying too hard. He quickly sorted through his clothes (making a mental note to burn all of his Iron Man fanboy t-shirts) until he found a simple white polo and jeans. The short sleeves on his shirt would definitely be a problem for a cold November day like this, but all of his sweaters had stupid puns and TV show references on them. Whatever. The tower probably had heating.

He paused seeing his suit (the one Tony had made him) and hovered his hand over it. Was this whole thing about Spider-Man? It had to be. Tony would never hang out with Peter Parker, he figured. He took the suit and stuffed it into his backpack. He unclipped his chibi wookie keychain and mini X-Wing starfighter from his bag and took out his all of his Spanish, history and math books but left the science one in because he might need it. Wait—then Tony would know Peter needs to use a book to know things and won't think he's smart. He's smart enough without the book. He tossed it onto his bed thoughtlessly and looked around for anything else he needed to pack. He threw a few other things like red and black pens and extra paper into the bag and slipped it onto his shoulders. Okay. Nothing too embarrassing. He was ready.

Wait— how was he supposed to get there? The tower was in Manhattan. May was working late today so she couldn't drive him. Ned's family was on vacation so they couldn't take him. Was he supposed to walk? That would be way too dangerous, not to mention tiring even with his enhanced strength. Oh man, was he stranded?

He was full-blown panicking now. Of all the days.

He had already started looking up subway schedules when a car honk caught his attention. Out of curiosity, he poked his head out the window and craned his neck to see the car.

It was way too expensive for anyone on this street, A shiny black Audi with tinted windows that made it look like some kind of spy car.

Peter made the connection quickly. Duh. Of course Tony Stark would be prepared. He always is.

He skipped down the stairs and out the door. A man — the driver, most likely — was waiting for him, looking bored and slightly annoyed. Peter threw him an apologetic smile.

"Peter Parker?" the man guessed and Peter nodded.

"Sorry, Mr. Stark didn't tell me you were coming. Uh, hi."

He held his hand out awkwardly for him to shake. The man took it reluctantly. "Happy Hogan."

"Oh, cool. Yeah. Oh, both of our names are alliterations! That's cool."

Nice one, Pete.

"...Right." Happy drawled. "You ready, kid?"

Peter nodded and reached for the door on the passenger's side, but Happy swatted his hand away. He quickly realized his mistake and his face reddened.

"Oh, right, yeah. Sorry." he breathed. He moved to the back of the car and sat quietly as Happy started driving back into the city. Peter repeatedly tried to make small talk, but the older man made it clear he was having no part of it.

"Ah... so... do you know what Mr. Stark, like, wants with me?" Peter asked at one point. Happy shrugged.

"I don't know, kid. Ask him when you see him."

That made his heart skip a beat. He was really going to meet Tony Stark. As Peter Parker. Not Spider-Man.

They arrived quicker than Peter would have liked, as he didn't have much time to rehearse his greeting and conversation with the billionaire, but he figured it would be okay.

"Kid! There you are."

Not okay not okay not okay not okay—

"Uhm— uh, hi, Mr. Stark." he stammered. They were outside the tower, it was still freezing out and it took everything Peter had not to let his teeth chatter.

"You okay? You gotta be cold in that." he asked, furrowing his brows at Peter's attire.

"Yeah, I'm— I'm good." he lied. Damn spiders and their lack of thermoregulating.

Tony put a hand on Peter's back and the sudden touch almost made him jump.

He led him into the elevator in the tower (Peter was right, it was heated) and to Tony's lab. Peter, expecting Tony to grab something quickly and take him somewhere else, waited outside the door.

"...Uh, kid? You coming?"

"Wait— I can come in?"

He laughed, and Peter blushed. "Why do you think you're here?"

"Actually, sir, you never told me why I'm here."

"Okay. One: don't call me sir. It makes me feel old. Two: we're working on upgrades for your suit."

Oh. Yeah. He had said something about that. Peter was a bit too busy screaming to listen to the details. Thank god he remembered the suit. "Sorry Mr. Stark."

Suddenly, Tony's face softened a little. "Look kid, don't be nervous. This is just a hang out thing. I'm not here to freak you out."

Peter untensed his shoulders. Right. This was just a hang out thing. He smiled a bit in embarrassment and walked in behind Tony. He marveled at the technology in the room.

"Woah."

"Impressive, right?" Tony grinned as he took a seat.

"Impressive? This is insane! You use this stuff all the time!?" he reached a hand out to the blue holographic images on the table, awestruck. "All I have is my school's chemistry lab."

Tony threw his arm up dramatically. "Well, then I think this is long overdue for a brain like yours. C'mon, I'll show you the basics."

Peter beamed as Tony started explaining his tech to him. All the worrying suddenly felt so useless.