Under the Hood - Part 3

He had gotten to Grand Central around 1:45 AM, after taking a subway from his little boro into Manhattan. The large area was surprisingly busy for such a late time, but. That didn't really matter. In fact it made it better, giving him less of a chance to be noticed. Just a runaway boy blending in with the crowd.

He'd gotten a ticket without any problem. A tired-looking Latina woman with curly brown hair handed him his ticket and told him to have a nice night, and all he could do was smile politely and mutter a thank you as he left. He had too much on his mind to dwell on anything. His mind was a cog in a machine, serving no purpose other than to move his body forward. Murky thoughts, painful doubts and blurry regrets were quickly shuffled out of his mind, in one ear out the other. He didn't have the time to regret. He didn't have the energy to lament.

He must have looked miserable, curled up in the window seat at the back of the train car. Mothers and fathers stared at him with pity, sympathy, because he was just a poor broke child wearing a dirty blue hoodie and torn jeans. Their eyes lingered on him sadly.

He just stared at his reflection in the window. His tousled brown hair and those stupid, stupid teary eyes.

He quickly checked his phone. 1:57 AM. Eight minutes, then he'd be off.

Philadelphia was where he was supposed to go. Far away from New York, but not too far. He could still come back, if he wanted to.

Not that he wanted to.

And he was ready. Really, he was. Despite Ned's fears and dark doubts of his own, he persisted. Insisted he was ready.

He sat in a thick silence for a few more moments.

Then.

"What are you doing here, Pete?"

The voice came as a desperate plea. Almost in sobs. He didn't bother to look away. Kept his forehead pressed against the cool glass and his knees pushed up to his chest.

"...How'd you find me."

"Your friend, Leeds, called me."

Damnit, Ned.

"I have to go."

"Bull-fucking-shit."

"...Just go home, Tony."

"You need to tell me why you're doing this."

That made him clench his fists. "I don't need to tell you shit."

He could hear the sigh. He wanted to punch him in the nose. "Fine. But I know this isn't about Riri. Peter Parker would never act the way you did."

He scoffed. Didn't rebuke, though.

"Please, Pete. I love you, I love you so much. I need you to open up to me."

And goddamnit, Peter didn't want to believe him. Because Tony was a rich selfish asshole who only cared about his image, not the people providing him with everything. The brave, perfect, mesmerizing Iron Man had shattered and left a broken pathetic man.

"And I need you to leave me alone."

Tony didn't quit. "Just tell me the truth."

"Has it ever occurred to you," Peter snapped, "that maybe I am?"

Silence dragged on.

"...The train is leaving soon," he continued, mumbling, "you should go."

"I'm not leaving you alone."

Why? Why can't you just forget about me? The words were right on his tongue but he swallowed them before they left his lips. He looked down at his feet, his ratty, dirty black sneakers and let the fire in his stomach wane.

When he finally, finally looked back at Tony, there were tears in his eyes.

"Do I really not matter to you?"

Tony looked taken aback. "What?"

He sniffed. "I... don't understand. If I really mattered to you, why did you forget about me?"

"...Peter, no. No, I never forgot about you."

"Then why did you replace me?"

Tony released a shuddering breath and took a seat next to Peter. He reached out to put a hand on his shoulder, and surprisingly, Peter let him.

"I didn't mean to. I just... I don't know. Riri was never your replacement, I never saw her as another you. Peter, I never wanted to replace you."

Peter didn't want to believe him.

But he never got what he wanted, did he?

Tears cascaded down his face in a steady stream as he locked eyes with Tony. He didn't move to seek comfort, like he would, but, just. Stared.

A little noise dinged above them signaling the train was about to leave. Peter gripped his bags a little tighter and looked back down at his shoes.

"...You should go." He finally whispered, cracked and wrecked.

Tony stood. "I'm always here, Pete. Remember that."

Peter paused for a moment. "Goodbye, Mr. Stark."

They both stayed quiet. After a moment of silence, Peter looked back, and Tony was gone.

He sat back in his seat and rested his tear-stained cheek on the window, letting the cold bite into his skin. The train rumbled a little, then started moving.